• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First car project 88 ranger freedom

88rangerfreedom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
hi my name is chris and I just bought my very first car at 18 and thought it was going to be a league of cake when I bought it for 600 bucks and all it needed was a heater core by once I got it home and took it on a test drive I found that I is burning oil but could that be caused by how broke. Down the oil is or by not having enough fluid in the radiator cause I now know there is not alot in it and it really needs an oil change which is what I'm doing in the morning I will also post pics of it
It it a 1988 2wd ford ranger XLT extended cab 5spd with the 2.9l in it I would really lOve some help I just put a nother 120 into it to give it a tune up at home and bleed the breaks and flush the radiator so if anyone could give me advise it helps alot

Thanks Chris

Hanzo Steel

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the boards, got any pics?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS Chris...

As I soon found out with my original 88 Ranger, they can quickly become a money pit...but love, a crazy notion to finish what I start, and plenty of help on this site got my Ranger working...

The 2.9 had issues with oil...they are good motors when they run good, but sometimes you have to rebuild them to get them working properly...best take it a step at a time and maybe not plan too far ahead...if you can do most of the work yourself and just need a bit of help, you've come to the right place...:)

88rangerfreedom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS Chris...

As I soon found out with my original 88 Ranger, they can quickly become a money pit...but love, a crazy notion to finish what I start, and plenty of help on this site got my Ranger working...

The 2.9 had issues with oil...they are good motors when they run good, but sometimes you have to rebuild them to get them working properly...best take it a step at a time and maybe not plan too far ahead...if you can do most of the work yourself and just need a bit of help, you've come to the right place...:)
Tonight I changed a radiator hose and now the water leaks from another spot and it's makin me mad Cause I love the ford trucks but things are starting to get to me and for some reason it steams or smokes kinda like when I start it up and it's kinda runs rough like it back firing and I did gap it to .044 lime the manual said anyone please help it's almost to the point wilith me even tho it's only been 3 days And another 180 dollars if someone could help me out you might save me and the truck

88rangerfreedom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS Chris...

Tonight I changed a radiator hose and now the water leaks from another spot and it's makin me mad Cause I love the ford trucks but things are starting to get to me and for some reason it steams or smokes kinda like when I start it up and it's kinda runs rough like it back firing and I did gap it to .044 lime the manual said anyone please help it's almost to the point wilith me even tho it's only been 3 days And another 180 dollars if someone could help me out you might save me and the truck

88rangerfreedom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know a better gap for the 2.9l cause .044 seems a bit much for that motor

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The gap is correct and would not cause backfire in this case...if it smokes and runs rough it could be any number of other issues...

You were going to change the oil...did you do that already? If so, check the new oil to see if it is cloudy or if you can smell gas in the oil...if it is cloudy then you may have a leak in the cooling system through the head gaskets...

If the oil is still clean then you might try checking that all the vacuum hoses are connected...if you're not sure you may need to get someone to post up pics that you can compare your setup with...

A disconnected vac line can cause rough running, even backfire...but backfire is mostly due to improper air/fuel mix...and if you've changed the air filter then you may have a sensor that is not working properly...

If you haven't already done so, you might want to post your symptoms, what you've done, and other details in the 2.9 V6 forum...I don't know that much about these engines...but there are people on here that do know them and can help save you money by not throwing new parts at a problem...

And, of course, your truck may have more than one thing needing done...but the rad leak does not affect engine operation other than keeping it cool...unless you have a cracked head or leaky head gaskets...

88rangerfreedom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The gap is correct and would not cause backfire in this case...if it smokes and runs rough it could be any number of other issues...

You were going to change the oil...did you do that already? If so, check the new oil to see if it is cloudy or if you can smell gas in the oil...if it is cloudy then you may have a leak in the cooling system through the head gaskets...

If the oil is still clean then you might try checking that all the vacuum hoses are connected...if you're not sure you may need to get someone to post up pics that you can compare your setup with...

A disconnected vac line can cause rough running, even backfire...but backfire is mostly due to improper air/fuel mix...and if you've changed the air filter then you may have a sensor that is not working properly...

If you haven't already done so, you might want to post your symptoms, what you've done, and other details in the 2.9 V6 forum...I don't know that much about these engines...but there are people on here that do know them and can help save you money by not throwing new parts at a problem...

And, of course, your truck may have more than one thing needing done...but the rad leak does not affect engine operation other than keeping it cool...unless you have a cracked head or leaky head gaskets...
i also think that i need to do the cap and rotor to make it run better with the new plugs and wires but the oil is so bad that its burning so yes i am changing the oil asap but i also have another leak right there under the pulliy on the driver side and it does not look like the radiator hose on the lower

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hows it going with the ranger did you get it to run right also if you need a photo of under the hood i can get one from my 1988 parts truck with the 2.9 v6 also theres alot of info in the tech library on the 2.9s , i here they have some problems with geting oil through the engine right, good luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals