• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally found the temp sensor and sender -- thought I'd share...

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I learned about our motors having both a temperature sensor which talks to the computer (two wires) and a temperature sender which controls the temp guage. I didn't have the easiest time finding their locations in the manuals until I found them in the Helm manual's engine teardown section -- not the engine cooling system section (how lame with that horrendous index system). The Haynes and Chiltons manuals were pretty much useless if you need find both.

Anyway, the sensor is screwed vertically into the engine -- the lower intake manifold to be specific -- immediately to the right of the thermostat housing as you face the truck. It's got a two wire connector which makes it easy to identify. The temperature sender is screwed straight in horizontally into the fitting right under the thermostat housing in the lower intake.

Torque spec is 12-17 ft/lb (15 was referenced once in the Helm manual) for both units.

If you get the Motorcraft brand parts on those, you don't need to use teflon tape or pipe dope since there's already pipe sealer on the parts from the factory.

This is the coolant temperature sensor ($49.00 is a little high, you can find them for 40.00 or much less for other brands):
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Ford/Ranger/Motorcraft/Coolant_Temperature_Sensor/1994/XLT/6_Cyl_4-dot-0L/MIDY1145.html?tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

This is the coolant temperature sender: ($10.00 at RockAuto and 17.00 at Kragen/Oreilly):
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=386619

Question if people read this...
Are there any recommended other brands for the two wire sensor that would be OEM fit and quaility at the more common price of about $20.00?
In general, I just go with Motorcraft on all. But, I'm open minded.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals