• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

filling in holes from fender flares...

atlanta-bmx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so i removed my fender flares on my 2003 edge, it looks good, except for the holes. I want to put bondo on em so i can smooth it all out and then paint it to blend it all in with the rest of the truck. BUT, I can't get to the back side of the holes... Will bondo be able to fill the hole without anything behind it? Any other advice is strongly welcome, Thanks!

This is the only picture i have of the holes. (It's being flexed)

snoman6115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
grind it all down to bare metal and just weld em shut or weld and then bondo

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bondo will fall out. Best bet is to take a punch put it in the hole and give a good smack with a hammer then use USC Duraglas filler to fill it in. USC All Metal works too.

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you need to weld them, Bondo will crack and fall out. Do it right the first time.

Akimbo Rangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 duraturd
Transmission
Manual
2x capser's statement. smash a piece of copper tubing flat and put it behind the hole. the weld wont stick to the copper and it will allow you to fill the hole without blowing a bigger hole in the tin foil they call a bedside. use a little colder weld too. you can always grind a little lumpy weld down... its alot more work to fix a big warp. metal finish it the best you can and use as little bondo as you can. . and spray some chip gaurd or undercoat on the backs of the weld. no point in doing all that work to have rust invade from the back side.
and take your time. the more detailed you are the better it will look.:icon_thumby:

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2x capser's statement. smash a piece of copper tubing flat and put it behind the hole. the weld wont stick to the copper and it will allow you to fill the hole without blowing a bigger hole in the tin foil they call a bedside. use a little colder weld too. you can always grind a little lumpy weld down... its alot more work to fix a big warp. metal finish it the best you can and use as little bondo as you can. . and spray some chip gaurd or undercoat on the backs of the weld. no point in doing all that work to have rust invade from the back side.
and take your time. the more detailed you are the better it will look.:icon_thumby:
Ok so i removed my fender flares on my 2003 edge, it looks good, except for the holes. I want to put bondo on em so i can smooth it all out and then paint it to blend it all in with the rest of the truck. BUT, I can't get to the back side of the holes... Will bondo be able to fill the hole without anything behind it? Any other advice is strongly welcome, Thanks!

This is the only picture i have of the holes. (It's being flexed)
but i agree, dont use bondo. Do it right the first time

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i say put some bad ass anodized looking aluminum or stainless rivets in them and leave it.

i think it would look good with the wheels.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
i say put some bad ass anodized looking aluminum or stainless rivets in them and leave it.

i think it would look good with the wheels.
I... err... Wow that is an incredibly simple idea. I would've never thought of that but now that I am I agree. That would look way cool!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals