• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FEandGoingBroke here under alias Ranger Clutch

twennydollabill

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Folks, I guess I should start off saying how much I HATE having to create a new effing Name every time I visit because there's no lost password crap for me to fill out... None, just keep trying and my saved passwords no longer worked and I was locked out...

OK now for the meat of the situation.

86 Ranger XLT 2.9 5 speed. Put in new clutch last year, burning from the very start, weak ass pressure plate, clutch effort is soft butter, it takes less pressure than my baby ford Festiva clutch. Angry moments, babied the clutch and got a full warranty replacement and put it in a couple days ago, ALL new clutch pressure plate and flywheel For the second time.... This thing will not let me buffer the clutch for more than about two seconds while holding the truck steady at the end of my very nearly flat driveway and it starts burning. I DETEST this damn thing....

So whom out there can recommend a STRONG clutch one with a pressure plate that has some effing MEAT to it and a good strong clutch disc? My baby had a birthday just turned 66,666.6 miles three days ago :) :) :)

Attachments

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
try writing your password on a sticky note and put it on the monitor.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There's a 'forgot your password' link next to the password field.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I just put the shortcut to the toolbar and never have to log in again. It just pops up when I click it.
TRS icon.jpg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There's a few options for a clutch, you can put in a 4.0L clutch and flywheel on a 2.9L but it takes a different starter for the bigger flywheel I think... there's likely something on that around somewhere...

For a nice stock replacement clutch I bought a Centerforce stock replacement friction disc and the pressure plate with the weights, it's been going strong for years with plenty of abuse, feels fine and has control but grabs nice and hard with the weights... It's like double the price of a normal clutch but I've liked it...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome back to TRS :)

Are you having the flywheel surfaced when redoing the clutch, if flywheel is "glazed" from previous "burning clutch disc" then new disc and pressure plate won't help, it will still slip like crazy on the "glass surface" of flywheel

There are two kinds of pressure plates
Regular
Self adjusting(SAC)

Self adjusting costs a bit more but worth every penny, in my opinion

Regular pressure plate looks like this: https://www.bielstein.com/media/image/product/11238/lg/clutch-pressure-plate-200-mm.jpg

Self adjusting looks like this: http://cdn.nexternal.com/uuc/images/CLUTCH_LUK_SAC.jpg
You can see the 3 springs around the center forks
These small springs MOVE the pressure plate closer and closer to the flywheel as clutch disc gets thinner from normal wear, so "self adjusts"

I have used LUK parts for clutches, over many years and vehicles, no complaints

twennydollabill

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
There's a 'forgot your password' link next to the password field.
There was Definitely NO forgot password when I was doing this through my phone, and my FEandGoingBroke saved password don't work, but today on my PC there WAS a forgot password link for FE, but this one popped up first and was saved

twennydollabill

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Welcome back to TRS :)

Are you having the flywheel surfaced when redoing the clutch, if flywheel is "glazed" from previous "burning clutch disc" then new disc and pressure plate won't help, it will still slip like crazy on the "glass surface" of flywheel

There are two kinds of pressure plates
Regular
Self adjusting(SAC)

Self adjusting costs a bit more but worth every penny, in my opinion

Regular pressure plate looks like this: https://www.bielstein.com/media/image/product/11238/lg/clutch-pressure-plate-200-mm.jpg

Self adjusting looks like this: http://cdn.nexternal.com/uuc/images/CLUTCH_LUK_SAC.jpg
You can see the 3 springs around the center forks
These small springs MOVE the pressure plate closer and closer to the flywheel as clutch disc gets thinner from normal wear, so "self adjusts"

I have used LUK parts for clutches, over many years and vehicles, no complaints

That's the ticket! I need a counter weight version. My first clutch lasted forever never burnt. These two clutches will burn off sitting at idle holding the truck in position at a light. The clutch discs are made of fairy dust.... And the pressure plates are the lightest I've ever felt on ANY car I've ever owned. My parts guy is going to refund me everything once I find a better setup to use without having to modify the starter.
I purchased a brand new heavy duty clutch and Flywheel when this powder puff happened....

twennydollabill

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT

Attachments

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There was Definitely NO forgot password when I was doing this through my phone, and my FEandGoingBroke saved password don't work, but today on my PC there WAS a forgot password link for FE, but this one popped up first and was saved

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wasn't showing Ranger pressure plates, just the differences in regular or self adjusting, the 3 small springs

The one you show is regular, no springs

Clutch pedal should be easy to push down, its hydraulic, shouldn't feel much difference from one pressure plate to the next

With regular pressure plate and new disc the pedal will be down at the floor to disengage and engage
Then as disc wears down the disengage/engage will move farther and farther up in pedal travel until its at the top and it starts to slip

Self adjusting keeps the disengage/engage at the lower middle of pedal travel for the life of the disc

twennydollabill

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
my Iphone definitely did Not give me that option, it only came up when I used my PC. Otherwise I'd have had my password changed in seconds and been FEandGoingBroke again.

twennydollabill

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
I wasn't showing Ranger pressure plates, just the differences in regular or self adjusting, the 3 small springs

The one you show is regular, no springs

Clutch pedal should be easy to push down, its hydraulic, shouldn't feel much difference from one pressure plate to the next

With regular pressure plate and new disc the pedal will be down at the floor to disengage and engage
Then as disc wears down the disengage/engage will move farther and farther up in pedal travel until its at the top and it starts to slip

Self adjusting keeps the disengage/engage at the lower middle of pedal travel for the life of the disc
My clutch engages and disengages about 5 inches or more off the floor, I push my clutch in about 1" for complete disengagement. It's always been like this since I got it 6 years ago.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals