• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extra wires on Tcase motor

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Went to swap the Tcase motor on my 94 and realized mine has an extra two wire sensor going to the T case tail shaft housing. As well as, a random wiring going directly into the case with no way to unplug it that I can see. My new motor is the standard 7pin connector and doesn’t have the extra 3 wires the one in the truck has. I also don’t see there to be an option on rock auto or any parts stores for a motor that does have the extra wires.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Electric shift motor has 7 wires
2 are for the electric motor, 12v/ground, reversible
5 are for Position Sensors/switches in the main body of the housing

There is 1 Brown(usually) wire on its own for an Electric Clutch, these were used with Auto Hubs so not there on 2001 and up transfer cases
Electric clutch allowed shifting to 4WD, "on the fly", when the front driveshaft/chain drive was at 0 RPMs before Auto Hubs engaged
With Live Axle, or Locked front hubs the front chain drive is always spinning at same RPM as rear so no Clutch needed

2 wire sensor is for speed, VSS up thru 1997, in 1998 this was dropped in all transfer cases(and transmissions)
Ford added VSS in the late 1980's for use with cruise control and Auto trans shifting, and in 1995 for electric speedo/odo set up

You can just cut and then re-connect Brown wire, as said its only needed with Auto Hubs, if you leave manual front Hubs Locked in winter then you can shift to 4WD on the fly and back to 2WD as needed, no need for the clutch

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the info! I ended up de-pinning the old three and adding them to the new motors connector.
4x4 still isn’t working so it must be a harness issue 😭

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you check Fuse #7, 20amp, in the engine bay fuse box, it powers the shift motor only, not the 4WD controller

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals