• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer to ranger

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Stop skipping steps and get it done right the first time.
I'm trying to sell a 4.0l ohv that I completely rebuilt. It came out of a 92 explorer sport and I just want to confirm something.

A couple people have asked if this would work in a 94 ranger that originally had a 4.0l. I tell them it will work, but there may be some difference in the wirring harness and that the one I'm selling has the harness with it so if changes are needed that havr what they should need.

Is this correct, or am I just making stuff up?
As an ase master technician and a long time lover of rangers I feel like my statements are true, but at the same time, it feels like I'm missong something...

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Wow. Sorry for all the typos.. must have fatter fingers this morning..

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The engine itself will work just fine. The main difference is '94 might have EGR and a cam sensor. '92 would have neither. The wiring harness is only useful in a 91/92.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
How much do you want for the engine? you have papers on it?

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
How much do you want for the engine? you have papers on it?
I've been asking 1200 for it but I'm pretty flexible. Gotta catch up on some bills. Lol. It's in Utah. I don't have any paperwork on it. I had bought the explorer from a junkyard for my son and I to rebuild and they didn't have the title. I had the VIN inspection done (it was clean) but I never finished getting the title. The explorer has since been hauled away. I know it is a VIN X.

Last edited:

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The engine itself will work just fine. The main difference is '94 might have EGR and a cam sensor. '92 would have neither. The wiring harness is only useful in a 91/92.
Perfect. Thank you. I didn't think about the egr and cam sensors. I always overlook something. Lol

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I've been asking 1200 for it but I'm pretty flexible. Gotta catch up on some bills. Lol. It's in Utah. I don't have any paperwork on it. I had bought the explorer from a junkyard for my son and I to rebuild and they didn't have the title. I had the VIN inspection done (it was clean) but I never finished getting the title. The explorer has since been hauled away. I know it is a VIN X.
Has it ever been ran? rebuilt and sat? where in Utah are you?

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Has it ever been ran? rebuilt and sat? where in Utah are you?
It's a real shame for me but, It has never been started, it sat covered up over the winter. Just for some background info, I am/was an ASE Master technician. I built it using the proper tools, taking measurements,honed the cylinders, installed new pistons, rings, connecting rods, main and rod bearings. I put it together using plenty of engine assembly lube, there is no doubt in my mind I could turn the engine right now. We took the heads apart and ground the valve seats to match the new valves (and factory spec), new valve stem seals springs pushrods and all that. Didn't really mess with the intakes or injectors or much else at all. It does have new spark plugs wires l, oil filter and the original wiring harness on it right now tho.
When my son and I rebuilt this engine it was in pretty good shape, only had 108k miles on the truck and the engine did run pretty good. The only reason we got rid of the truck is because priorities changed.

I'm in price utah, which is a couple hours south and east of SLC. And like I said before, I'm pretty flexible.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well Ill think about it, it would be quite a drive for me, but I have a buddy in northern Nevada that has been bugging me to come down a see him. Ill get back with you. If it sells it sells. That would save me a lot of time on my ranger. Wish it wasn't such a drive from Northern Idaho.

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well Ill think about it, it would be quite a drive for me, but I have a buddy in northern Nevada that has been bugging me to come down a see him. Ill get back with you. If it sells it sells. That would save me a lot of time on my ranger. Wish it wasn't such a drive from Northern Idaho.
If I had a portable way to lift it, I'd meet you somewhere. I'm not opposed to delivering either as long as you had a hoist. It is a terrible long drive from Utah to Idaho and back. Lol so I don't blame anyone who might not want to drive so far.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Build a little cart for it and put some cheapo casters on it, then just roll it from the back of one vehicle to another. I have a little cart just like that specifically for 4.0's, I made it out of short 2x4 sections screwed together.

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Build a little cart for it and put some cheapo casters on it, then just roll it from the back of one vehicle to another. I have a little cart just like that specifically for 4.0's, I made it out of short 2x4 sections screwed together.
Dang. That's a good idea. Lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals