• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer Leafs+ 04 Ranger = Awesome

86_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, been a long time lurker and have owned a few rangers over the years. Wanted to chime in an post a fresh update to my experience throwing on some explorer leafs onto my (new to me) 2004 FX4 4.0 4x4. I searched a lot prior to this and my experience differed from what I read everywhere, so just keeping everyone in the know!

My rear end was sagging BAD. My last camping trip I wanted to use my shell and there was some decent 4x4 on the way in.. with the shell and a decent load in the back, the truck rode horrible, bottomed when it shouldn't and was dragging a** ridiculously. Once I got home took a quick peek under and saw my leafs were literally less than flat... inverted even. lol. I set out to throw on some explorer leafs like I've read in so many places to restore the height, and maybe get a small lift so I could 4x4 safely and not drag butt the whole time with a load and shell in the back.

Went to the junkyard and scoured for explorers. I was looking for a 4/1 leaf pack, but could not find any in the roughly 10 explorers they had. I hear bronco II leafs are also compatible, I did see one, but the leaf pack was in pretty bad shape and looked WAY overkill. Very thick and stout. I ended up with a 3/1 leaf pack from a v8 2001 explorer thinking it would have a higher load and/or spring rating. I pulled them pretty quick as someone else already took the axle and walked out, $63 dollars poorer for the set.
-----Later I learned you could check the door sticker to get the spring rate. I would do this next time-------

I struggled getting my body high enough to drop the axle low enough to get the new leafs in. While it was up however, I noticed my problem... both middle leafs, BOTH sides, broken.. just snapped.. lol I ended up having to reinstall all the original equipment to get it back on the ground safely, and went to harbor freight for some taller jackstands. My little 3ton ones just weren't tall enough.. got some 6 ton, roughly 23.5" tall stands ($40 w coupon) and that did it. Install was a snap, however the forward eye bolt size is different. The stock ranger bolt is a 5/8th while the explorer front eye is 9/16th.. Luckily I saved the bolts from the explorer leaf, so I had to use that for the front. I torqued the u bolts but kept the eyes loose. Once the tires were back on and truck down, I torqued the eyes down to reduce bushing twist. The mismatch in bolt size doesnt bother me, it seems very snug, doesnt clack or shift, I'm confident using the 9/16th bolt in the eye mount made for a 5/8th. You may not, or you may have an older ranger (I believe 03 and older shares bolt sizes as explorer).
-----For my 04 ranger, had to use the front bolt from the explorer, and the rear I could use my original bolt------

Couldn't believe it. I gained over 3.5" in the wheel well. My truck sits very noticeably higher and feels great. Smooth, less bounce or chop, just rides great. With that being said, I did also pull out the shocks to inspect them after finding the broken leafs. Blown. Completely Blown.. They were the Rancho variety. I threw in some new Bilsteins (82$ from rockauto, or cheaper as a full 4 set from amazon) and I'm very impressed with the ride quality, looks, and height gained. It feels SO much better, so much that I went ahead and got new front Bilsteins, and some new tbars (code1, 203$ for both R/L) so I can crank them slightly to level things out, then get some slightly oversized tires and an alignment and feel really good about my suspension.

Note: The MOOG rockauto shackles ($25 ea) for my truck came with the rear eye bushing, so in the next few weeks I plan on dropping the leafs again to press in the new bushing and seal the deal on my rear.

NEXT, i'm tackling the front end. I have sitting pretty and waiting for the next few weekends:
-Moog tierod ends
-Moog sway bar links and bushings
-Moog full lower control arm with bushings/ball joints
-Bilstein front shocks
-code1 tbars

Once thats all tackled, I'll slap on some 265/75/16 KO2's or michelin AT2's (havent decided yet), get an alignment and I'll drop a pic in here. Should be suuuuuuuper sexy compared to where it was just last weekend!

Pics are before the front end is done or cranked. Think I got room for bigger tires? :)

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Glad you're happy with the results. I'm curious as to what you read and exactly what differed in your swap? With a broken leaf on each side and blown out Rancho's it wouldn't take much to improve what you had.

Welcome to TRS... looking forward to seeing your truck.

86_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I know... lol. Pretty bad, never seen that before on my past Rangers.
But to answer the question, I didn’t see a clear answer anywhere about the front eye size differing... everywhere I seemed to see people were able to just slap them in. On researching leaf spring replacements I found out the size differs in 04 and up!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I thought that was documented here... I think @85_Ranger4x4 just went through this on his spring swap.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
He did mention a different size bolt. Like his originals were too small for what should have been there.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm going to have a look... if that isn't in the Tech Library... it probably should be.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He did mention a different size bolt. Like his originals were too small for what should have been there.
Originals were fine, the ones I stuck in a few years ago (2009 Ranger) had bigger front bolt holes than what my truck originally had. The later Rangers were bigger than the earlier trucks, not sure when they changed. You will get some weird axle movement with the wrong bolts.

Some findings I had about some different bushings/bolts:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I see you posted a couple pictures... nice truck. I believe a 32 inch tire will fit just fine. You could probably even go 33x10.50. You probably have a 4.10 gear and in my experience a 32 inch tire works well... a 33 inch tire and I would probably go for a gear change.

I copied the spring spec table in the link you provided and put it into excel. Then converted it to .pdf. I'm going to post it in the Tech article submission page and see if @Jim Oaks thinks it would be worthy to add into the Tech Library.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals