• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ever buy tools that you will probably never need?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
there are times I search and search for tools and give up, and go buy a new one, then not long after the old one shows up, go figure.
Yep, happens too often. In some cases I now have quadruplets....
There a big yard sale in my future!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Most of my duplicates came about because I got tired of needing something and it not be handy. So I have a big 5 drawer service cart up at my buddies garage that has a random collection of duplicates to my tools and stuff he either didn’t have, had a cheaper version of, or something that he had stolen from him and had not replaced. My trucks get duplicates of the most used tools for a permanent tool kit, my essentials pack, and there’s some duplicates between my garage kit and my construction trailer project kit. The garage kit and the service cart at my mechanic buddies place are typically the higher quality stuff, the rest is more random. Except my electrical kit. Almost everything in that has blue handles.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
I just accept the fact I have too many sockets. The tools I wish I hadn't bought were a leak down tester, AC manifold set for R-12, and a vacuum brake/clutch bleeder.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Yes. I also by special tools I will only need once.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A few months ago I got a pair of snap ring pliers to fix something on my Sport Trac, I forget what, it ended up having worse problems so I traded it in on a new Ranger. I have several tools that I bought to fix one thing and then never used them again.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
A few months ago I got a pair of snap ring pliers to fix something on my Sport Trac, I forget what, it ended up having worse problems so I traded it in on a new Ranger. I have several tools that I bought to fix one thing and then never used them again.
A lot of things use snap rings. You will use them again, I'd keep them handy.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
One time my F150 5.4 triton suddenly lost a cylinder. After throwing some obvious parts at it to no avail, I gave up and called he dealer. Turned out to be a broken valve spring. I weighed the cost of repair vs. doin it myself.I would have to buy a valve spring compressor among other special tools, and hum the motor for 3 days, with no warranty or guarantee it would work. Diagnosis and repair cost me $1300 out the door 2 day turnaround. I felt liberated not having to suffer doin it myself, made me wanna heave my tools into the trash bin.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Know your limitations but don't give up the fight. Why pay double the price for repairs and service you can do yourself because of the cost of labor?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Know your limitations but don't give up the fight. Why pay double the price for repairs and service you can do yourself because of the cost of labor?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I bought a leakdown tester just so I had a hose to put air pressure into cylinders to replace valve stem seals, haven't used it for that yet but I have a lot of junk so I'll need it at some point, plus might do a leakdown on some things just to check health...

When we were camping the other day one buddy had a great use for snap ring pliers, pulling stuck sockets out of places, just stick it across the square drive and squeeze and pull... that'd come in handy for spark plug sockets here and there...

I have all sorts of tools I'll probably never use, I get bright ideas and order tools in anticipation then don't get to the projects... hopefully I'll catch up sometime soon though and can get to some of my projects...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I bought a leakdown tester just so I had a hose to put air pressure into cylinders to replace valve stem seals, haven't used it for that yet but I have a lot of junk so I'll need it at some point, plus might do a leakdown on some things just to check health...

When we were camping the other day one buddy had a great use for snap ring pliers, pulling stuck sockets out of places, just stick it across the square drive and squeeze and pull... that'd come in handy for spark plug sockets here and there...

I have all sorts of tools I'll probably never use, I get bright ideas and order tools in anticipation then don't get to the projects... hopefully I'll catch up sometime soon though and can get to some of my projects...
I got into knife sharpening for a bit. now I have a pile of jigs and stones I never use, just one good small diamond sharpener is in my tool box at work for touching up my EDC and chisels. Then I wanted to try wood carving and make a spoon or something, but don't want to buy more tools. I was burned out on wrenching, but recently into it again, and may just stick with it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
The time and labor was well worth it. I was dreading the hours and busted knuckles I would spend on that job. plus I was already $400 into diagnosis, which saved me about that much in throwing parts at it, and buying a leakdown tester. instead I got to enjoy life, and move some stuff around while the driveway was clear one less vehicle.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Case in point for me;
I needed my concrete finishing tools and couldnt find them for a week of looking. Went and bought a cheap set to use. Two days after finishing I found the set I was looking for. Another day later I found another set I didnt know I had....

fred m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
12.5 cups
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not tools in the traditional sense, but automotive electronic tools. In the last year I've purchased DiagProg4 Full Package, Autel MS908P Maxisys Elite, Autel IM508 Key Programmer, a J2534 programmer interface and a few EEPROM tools.

It's a safe bet that if it rolls, I can program it. Steal a Lamborghini, kill the telematics and roll the odometer back on my way home [sarcasm]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals