• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Erratic RPM's

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm stumped, I just completed a 2.9 to 4.0L swap into my 91 5spd ranger. Everything seemed to work fine once I fired it up and did a test drive with it yesterday. This morning, I drove about 10 blocks to the store, everything was fine. Coming home, it all went south. Here's the symptoms:

Starts fine
Idles fine

As soon as I go to give it gas, the RPM's jump up and down like I'm pumping the throttle. I thought it might be the IAC valve, so I unplugged it and it just stalled out. I thought maybe there was a ground wire issue as my negative cable looks like poo so I cleaned it all up. No effect. Checked the ground wires at the ECM, and they look fine. Tonight I went and played around a bit more, checked the vacuum lines, MAF, all look good. I don't suspect a faulty fuel pump or filter as the truck drove fine with the 2.9 prior to pulling it. I also don't suspect the 4.0ECM as I also drove it without issue prior to yanking the 4.0. Out of 10 fires, it ran and revved perfectly as though nothing was wrong one time after completely shutting the truck off, then it went back to messing with me.

I've read that the ABS might be connected in searching similar issues, (my ABS is not hooked up, but it was like that and drove fine with the 2.9) so I doubt that's relevant.

I'm suspecting a possible TPS issue, but would appreciate any insight you all might have in solving this issue.

:icon_cheers:

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed today when farting around with it, that as soon as I brought the RPM's up to around 2000 is when it started it's revving up and down routine, but if I kept it under 2000, I could shift through all the gears and get the truck somewhat up to speed.

again.... any suggestions would be appreciated.

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
finally figured it out today. Turns out it was the CPS :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals