• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine trying to overheat

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know the temp gage is not a true measure of temperature. Here is the problem. At highway speeds. the needle drops below the "C". But at slower speeds and at stops, the engine is getting hot and the needle kinda rises and falls. I had a leak 6 months ago and put in stop leak and that seemed to fix the problem But now my antifreeze is brown. So I was just going to change it since it had been a few years. When I drained the radiator, only about a 1/2 gallon came out. I guess I expected around 3 gallons to come out.

So any idea on my problem is appreciated. Next I plan to disconnect the lower hose and see how much will drain from the engine.

Thanks,

runnert

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
You may have a couple of problems. The temp gauge swing could be a bad thermostat. Mine acts that way when it wants a new t'stat.
What prompted you to put the Stopleak in? There's a lot of discussion on here concerning internal and external leaks.
Good luck.

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the tstat. Clutch fan seems ok. I had a leak on the side of the engine - noticed a puddle after driving and the stop leak has fixed it so far. It does concern me that when I drained the coolant that only .5 gal came out. How much coolant does a typical 4.0L hold?

runnert

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
2 gallons..

redranger02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well sometimes that stop leak can do more harm than good it might stop the leak. put it also could have stopped up a few other things too. i put stop leak in one of my old cars and it stop the leak right along with my radiator. you might want to try to flush you radiator out, to see if that is it.

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have seen that before also. But it was such a slow leak, that I figured I would put it in, stop the leak and then replace the coolant. What I don't understand is that I only got .5 gall out when I drained it. I am going to disconnect the lower hose and see if I get anything out of the engine tonight. Is it possible for the water pump to go out without leaking?

Tell if this is a good plan:

1- drain coolant from the engine
2- flush the radiator
3- remove tstat and flush water through the system - drain out the lower hose
then if I still have a problem:
4- take off water pump and check it.

Is there a way to tell if the water pump is working without taking it off?

runnert

96_4wdr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
where was your original leak at?
if not seen, may be lower intake manifold coolant flow gaskets

start with a strong cleaner such as Prestone Super radiator cleaner
2 bottles, run for 10 hrs op time to clean block passages

pull radiator and garden hose pressurize it from bottom hose outflow side to reverse flush the radiator. set radiator with inflow tank down. regulate water pressure with faucet to about 30psi which is about max that radiators will safely handle.

remove heater hoses and flush the heater cores separately with max. 30 psi from garden hose

use full hose pressure for block reverse flush thru the tstat opening

best to remove water pump and check for broken vanes, some of the pumps came with plastic impellers, they break. if you replace, get rebuilt with stainless steel impeller, cost more but peace of mind

Last edited:

michowski

Reaction score
I would flush out everything. Heater core, radiator, motor. Make sure all your hoses are good and theres no cracks or tears in em. Fill it all back up with just water and let your truck run till the thermostat opens. Check everywere for leaks. Spray down your motor also to help clean it some so it will be easier to chase a leak. Thats what I would do.

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would never believe it if I didn't see it. I took the radiator and had it checked. IN 5 seconds he told me it was fine. I explained the symptoms. He asked was Tstat I had put in. When this all started 6 months ago, I put in a napa tstat. He told to try the Ford Tstat. He only drove ford (he had a late 80's model ranger) and that he saw this same problem with other Fords. So I put in a Ford Tstat and it solved my problem. Appearently, the napa Tstat would open, but only under the pressure of the heat rather than the temp of the water - which would explain the leak probably. So my problem is fixed.

runnert

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals