• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical problems

SteveRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

I've been having a few electrical problems with my 1999 Ranger XLT. Everything is stock.

Problems:

- dim headlights
- radio turning itself on while driving
- radio switching to the CD player from FM radio and displaying " no cd,"
- CD player activates like it is trying to find a CD when the headlights are turned on with the vehicle off.
- AM radio buzz with alternator/blower motor
- Key chime with door open doesn't always work (sometimes after waiting or jiggling the key it will)
- Loss of all power when attempting to start. (Could temporarily solve by detaching and reattaching a battery terminal)

I have solved some of the issues:

- New headlight housings and bulbs (Sylvania XtraVisions)
- replaced positive terminal clamp on battery
- Cleaned and greased all chassis grounds I could find in the engine compartment
- one by the battery/radiator
- one on driver side near fuse box
- one on passenger side near blower motor
- one top, center firewall
- Engine strap to top of firewall
*I was unable to reach the starter or the strap at the motor.

- I also found one ground behind the passenger kick panel in the cab. I looked for more, but couldn't find any.

This has solved my dim headlights, AM radio squeal that corresponded with the alternator/blower and I swear my speakers sound better and have more bass! It also has a stronger crank.

Still a problem:
- CD player's motor turning on when the headlights are activated with the truck off. I've never checked to see if it would play if I had a CD in it with the truck off.
- I haven't driven enough to see if the radio will come on by itself or switch from FM to CD yet. I can actually hear AM stations now, but the 700 range bands have a high pitch whine to them. Other stations are very clear though for the first time in a long time.
- Intermittent key chime

Are there any more grounds that I should clean? Thoughts?

Thanks
Stephen

Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
How does your fuse panel look under the hood and in the cab (the driver side dash panel). Any corrosion from a leaking windshield or door seal could be causing power from the lights to be jumping circuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The radio lights up when you turn your lights on, may be something wrong with the wiring or inside the radio.

I am betting it is in the radio. It does not have a separate external power wire for the CD portion of the unit.

SteveRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Both fuse panels look good. And that is what I was thinking about the radio.

Unfortunately it died on the road today. I jumped it when the battery couldn't turn it over and moments later down the road it wouldn't maintain power. The engine pulsed until I could get off the road. Seems like it might be the alternator, but it may be too much of a coincidence to have failed right after working with the ground connections...

It ran great last night. All I did today was pull the passenger kick panel and clean and grease the ground there...

First time I've had that truck towed that I can remember and I've been driving it since 2005!

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmm, how about the neg battery cable? What's the connection like from the wire to the terminal? Could the cable be corroded inside? Where do you live? Northeast?

As a long shot maybe the ignition switch?

"Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning" TB12

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
A corroded negative battery cable can cause all sorts of issues. Strange thing is, it can corrode inside the insulation where you can't see the damage. I usually start there when there are electrical problems. I've taken to making my own cables out of welding cable, crimp and heat shrink my own ends and use dielectric grease.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A corroded negative battery cable can cause all sorts of issues. Strange thing is, it can corrode inside the insulation where you can't see the damage. I usually start there when there are electrical problems. I've taken to making my own cables out of welding cable, crimp and heat shrink my own ends and use dielectric grease.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet
I had that happen on one of my Rangers, about 5 inches from the battery it just turned to mush. You couldn't tell by looking at it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals