• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

egr problems

fordguy88

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
need some help have a 98 ranger with the 2.5 its throwing egr codes changer egr valve dpfe sensor egr tube still now its throwing p0401 which is for the tube. The tubes are not blocked or have any holes?Im gonna change them and clear codes has any body else have this happen ? I work on the truck regularly for a friend he bought it with some problems. So far ive done timing belt ,coil pack, rear springs, shackles , hangers fuel pump, master cylinder most of the brake lines and ball joints this is the last problem with the truck that i know of anyway wand would like it to get all sorted out.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
p0401 is insufficient flow detected. Could be plugged ports from the valve to the throttle body, a bad EGR valve, some type of obstruction in the tube going from the manifold to the EGR valve, or a problem with the vacuum supply to the valve. That's all i can think of... you can apply vacuum manually to the valve, if it's working right you'll know. it will just about kill the truck when vacuum is applied. If it doesn't, take the valve off and check to make sure the tube coming from the exhaust manifold isn't plugged, and also check that all the small ports going into the throttle body are open. You can hear the valve open and close just by sucking on it. If you can suck on it and not have the valve open the diaphragm is probably blown out, in which case replace the valve.

If it works fine when you apply vacuum manually it could be a bad EGR vacuum solenoid, or bad vacuum lines. good luck! Hopefully this is helpful and not confusing.

shepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just took mine apart tonight and the plunger was stuck in the closed position. Took a punch and hammer and pop it and got it moving. Filled it up with some brake cleaner, soaked, wire brushed and moves good now and not throwing codes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals