• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

egr or no egr

McM81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
when capping of the egr valve and the manifold bung, also the egr pressure solenoid behind the throttle linkage and the solenoid on the pass. side with the xmas color vac lines. i also put in an EEC from an 88 standard manual trany and TC. and i'm having problems starting it and also keeping it running it sounds like the timing or the wires are off but they all check out, so am i missing something or replace something. i set the timing with the spout not plugged in, still sounds like a vacuum leek i can't see, or timing. if anyone has done the egr delete with their 2.9l 86 or 87 and things are working good could you respond to this thread. or should i put the egr back to work and use my old EEC thank you

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I put a block off plate on my 86 after I discovered the egr valve was leaking and decided it wasn’t worth the time to try and repair that system, removed the dpf sensor and egr solenoid and capped off the vacuum port on the intake manifold and had no issues.

Your post is pretty vague do you have more details? Have you hooked a vac gauge to it? Have you sprayed around areas where vacuum could leak and see if the engine speed changes?

Things to check:
Make sure FPR isn’t leaking fuel into the vacuum port
Make sure you have adequate fuel pressure
Change fuel filter(s)
Make sure pickup coil isn’t hanging out inside distributor loosely
Make sure cap and rotor are good and clean (plugs and wires too)

If you’ve already done these things change the icu (aka tfi module)
Loosen the base on the distributor and rotate it counter clockwise and see if it cleans up. Tighten it down where it runs good test drive it and make sure it doesn’t ping, rotate it back if it does.

If none of that checks out inspect the wiring harness for Damage, these things are old and the wiring in the 80s was questionable at best.

Be more specific with issues too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals