• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

egr issues

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 ford ranger 3.0 l flex fuel, here is the issue, it is saying egr excissive flow on the code... so far I have replaced the egr valve, dpfe sensor (pressure sensor), the egr solonoid, the mass air flow sensor, I have cleaned the egr tube from the egr to the manifolds with some carb and choke cleaner, I just put a new exhaust from the cat the whole way back with a glass pack, I looked in the cat and it wasn't clogged, doesn't stink and they dont turn red or anything, I looked over the manifolds and they have no leak, It misses a little at an idle or barely touching the gas sometimes but not often and as soon as you give it any amount of throttle the miss goes away..... same thing goes for if your in 4th gear and going 35 to 40 mph barely touching the gas it will buck slightly, Its really getting annoying, this has been a problem for me for almost a year and is really peeing me off lol, I have tried dang near everything, sorry for the long post guys but please help!!:sad: Any ideas?

Spowerback

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
v6 4.0L /
Transmission
Automatic
had have it is try to change the fuel filter or any other thing or even your o2 sensor can be fix on the problem
already they are idle problem. ive cleaned the maf sensor and idle sensor with electric battery cleaner and my problem is fixed

Last edited:

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
oops i did forget, I changed my fuel filter so that isn't it either, and new plugs and wires and they are def gapped correctly. the idle air control valve or o2 sensor your saying? I was thinking the o2 possibly but I wasn't sure if that could be it.

Spowerback

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
v6 4.0L /
Transmission
Automatic
I remove my egr valve.[E=exhast--»» G=gas--»» R=recirculation] just a better combustion of waste cumbustion .I said that his is pointless and this thing still works well
maybe fuel regulator anything..you've made a test of fuel pressure

Last edited:

Spowerback

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
v6 4.0L /
Transmission
Automatic
unhook negative terminal battery and try this reclook cumputer a couple time
no idea its easy find sometimes

Last edited:

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The OP's symptoms sound like classic DPFE symptoms - did the hoses connecting the DPFE to the EGR valve get reversed when installing the new DPFE? If not, then my next best educated guess would be that the new DPFE is either defective right out of the box, or else it failed a short time after being installed.

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
The hoses def didn't get switched on the DPFE. But I have just found out that is is saying not enough flow instead of excessive so I have to change my game plan to looking for clogged vacume lines etc.

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
ok so heres the deal, it is po 401 inexcessive flow so this whole time I've been replacing the wrong stuff lol, its gotta be clogged somewhere.

oldfordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A few ideas- When you cleaned the EGR tube, did you actually remove it, or just spray cleaner down the tube? The EGR tube has a small orifice in it, that's how they measure the flow, by measuring the pressure drop before and after the orifice. Tough to clean without removing from the engine. Mine had a split in it about 6 inches long that I couldn't see until I removed the tube and slid off the insulation. Insulation kept it quiet, so I did not hear it. New one was about $75. Also, if the silicone tubes from the EGR tube to the DPFE are stiff, they may be clogged. Find a dealer that buys the tubing on a roll, the individual tubes from Ford are rediculous expensive. Don't use rubber, these things get hot, must be silicone. They are 2 different sizes, so it's obvious how they hook up. Check for vacuum leaks to the EGR solenoid. Sorry if I mentioned stuff you already did, I know how these things can wear at you.

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
Ok I have taken off the tube completly to find that it is ok, The dpfe sensor lines are clean inside, anything else that would be causing inexessive flow?

psykostevo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What a freakin mystery

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
Haha tell me about it, I'm about to seriously just bypass everything to do with the egr system all together lol, sometimes it just gets me so worked up :icon_confused: haha. I'll figure it out one of these days and when I do I will be sure to let you guys know

stan393

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have been thru this lately and got somebody to clean the throttle body...also after replacing all this stuff..disconnect the battery for 2 hours and let the computer reset to factory defaults...these things learn and adjust when parts go bad sometimes...

pfrye2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Manual
I have found out finally what this issue was, Now I feel dumb.... the computer controls all your sensors obviously so I thought the computer controlled my whole egr system, o2 sensors, mass air flow etc. But I learned an interesting fact so if anyone is having the same problem I know what it is!!!!! The computor sends a signal to a sensor and then this sensor send a signal to the mass air flow sensor, o2 sensors, and the whole egr system, can anyone guess which one I'm talking about??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals