• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EFI 302 Swap for 1991 Ford Explorer 4.0

madman_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have looked on here and found some useful info on V8 conversions, but nothing that can help me that much. I don't have a whole lot of money, so I have to limit what I buy. I want to try to get the engine, tranny, and all the other parts I need for 1,700 or so. I was wondering if I could buy an Eddie Bauer with a 5.0. Thought maybe then I wouldn't have to buy too many conversion parts. I don't want to buy a new Explorer, I want to keep this one. I also wanted to know how hard it would be to get a 4-speed automatic w/od for a 5.0 (idk if the eddie bauers have one). Any advice would be nice .:icon_confused:

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
I recall reading about a fella who did a explorer v8 swap into a 91 bronco II. The problem with the explorer v8 is the wiring. Its a nightmare. Look for a fullsize bronco with the 5.0L this will make the swap a snap. All you have to do is change to a smaller t-case unless your willing to grind a wee bit from your drivers side frame for clearance.
Ya may want to bring that budget to about 2k.
Motor mounts: Unless you make them yourself, $150
v8 conversion Radiator: $300
Electric Radiator fans *trust me..*: $200
Remote oil filter kit: $50
transmission x-member: make yourself or modify a v8 explorer x-member, or use a pre 87 BII/Ranger x-member Wrecking yard $30
Drive Shafts: $300 each
Custom Exhaust: from $400 to $700
Cable Shifter for the transmission: $100 to $250
New radiator hoses: $30
Fluids: $40
Misc nuts, bolts and filters: $150
Cost of engine and transmission: ?

The AOD transmissions tend to be computer controlled. Unless you want to spend hours looking a wiring specs, then you will need a stand alone unit to control the tranny.
You can find the units online. Just do a google search.

Hell, man. For the cost, I would rebuild your 4.0 and slap a supercharger on it. You will put down the same power as a 5.0 but with none of the hassle.

madman_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks a lot for the info. i'll keep that info. i was thinking about doing that to my v6, but i like the v8 sound and power already with it. idk. I might just have to stick with the v6 for a while. somebody had told me there was a conversion kit for 1000. it came with a bellhousing for the a4ld. i know it couldnt handle it, but if i could get that kit, it could save some hassle. plus i was wondering if i could rebuild my tranny with heavy duty parts and put a shift kit in it. i think it might handle it then... but i think they quit making them.

madman_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
the kit also came with a wiring harness, radiator, prolly engine mounts, and some other stuff. the guy had said it was for a 302 ho. which i know exactly where to get one. BTW, i was wondering if i get get pics of any mods anybody had to do to the frame when you put the 5.0 in. that would be great. my dad is the one that does most of the metal work. so if i could get pics of the engine mounts, x- member, and how much you had to take out of the frame for the t-case. and some pics of the engine compartment... close clearance spots and things like that. thanks again for the info. or if you know of someone who has pics.

Last edited:

madman_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
does anyone think that it would be easier and cheaper to go carburated rather than fuel injection?

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
Wow. Man, If anybody out there knows of a kit for $1000, Ill gladly give them free internets for a week! Hell, ill buy one! Ive been doing my swaps from scratch for years, a cheap kit would kick ass.

Ill snap a few pictures of my BII swap, and take a few measurements for the frame notch after work and post them up. Its a 351w, but the same motor mounts.
As for ease of install, each has its own problems. With either, you will run into wiring issues. Seeing that your rig is a Fuel Injected year, a injected 5.0 will be the best route.

I know to NEVER use the A4LD with a built v8. Stock 5.0, it may well live for a while.
It can handle HP, but not big numbers of torque that a v8 can produce.
With a forced induction kit on a 4.0, you will be putting lots of HP, not big torque. Thats why a A4LD can live with that combo.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
kit?

no reason for it.

i base needs on what is available and what goals are.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals