• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Early bronco D30

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
i have a chance to pick up a set of axles out of a 69 bronco. my question is since the early D30 has drums is it possable to swap it to disks like you could with the D44? if so what all do i need?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why would you want to do that? The Dana 30 is about as strong as the Dana 28.

If you are looking for strength, then go with the Dana 35, which is a bolt in swap, and do some of the mods to it listed in the Tech Library.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
i have a chance to pick up a set of axles out of a 69 bronco. my question is since the early D30 has drums is it possable to swap it to disks like you could with the D44? if so what all do i need?
Yes, the EB dana 30 uses all the same swap parts as a EB d44. just find a pair of chevy d44 small bearing spindles, caliper brackets and calipers and a pair of ford 5 lug hubs.

But if it were me and I was swapping to a dana 30 I would use a jeep axle so my bolt patterns matched instead of using EB d30.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the EB dana 30 uses all the same swap parts as a EB d44. just find a pair of chevy d44 small bearing spindles, caliper brackets and calipers and a pair of ford 5 lug hubs.

But if it were me and I was swapping to a dana 30 I would use a jeep axle so my bolt patterns matched instead of using EB d30.
Thanks for the info. and the reason for not using a jeep D30 would be that i would be getting the D30 and the 9" that have matching gears already, and for about $40 more than i would pay for just the jeep axle from the JY.

Why would you want to do that? The Dana 30 is about as strong as the Dana 28.

If you are looking for strength, then go with the Dana 35, which is a bolt in swap, and do some of the mods to it listed in the Tech Library.
i would want to do it for a few reasons.
1. i would get almost everything i need to swap it in for less than i would just buying the D35.
2. gears are matched to the 9" that comes with it so no need to regear the D35 or the 7.5.
3. if i come across a EB D44 it would be easy to slip right in. without changing anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals