• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E brake sticks after rain

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I've had the same issue on both my Rangers, 94 and 97, that if I leave the e brake engaged during a rain or even if it's disengaged during a rain but then I try to use it shortly after, it will stick badly and I'll have to either rock the truck with my bodyweight or use the engine to knock it free. I've also noticed a slight brake whine at low speeds even with the e brake disengaged. I've read several threads but none mentioned what is actually causing this. Is it the shoes sticking to the drums and if so why does moisture cause this? I can't imagine they're rusting together because like I said, the truck can be sitting overnight during a heavy rain with the e brake disengaged, then if I go to the store and set the e brake, when I come out after 5 minutes it'll be stuck. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd be eyeing the cables.

I'd start by removing the drums and seeing it the shoes are retracting properly when the brake is released. If they aren't then it's probably time for new cables and return springs.

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd be eyeing the cables.

I'd start by removing the drums and seeing it the shoes are retracting properly when the brake is released. If they aren't then it's probably time for new cables and return springs.
They work fine when dry, it's only after a rain that there's a problem, trying to narrow down why they only act up after a rain.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
They work fine when dry, it's only after a rain that there's a problem, trying to narrow down why they only act up after a rain.
Surface rust may be an issue. Or water may be getting in there somehow. A good clean and lube never hurt anything either.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So do that stuff I said after it rains.

If they retract OK with no drums, the shoes are sticking to the drums. But wet weather can exacerbate sticking cables that are corroded on the inside. Moisture swells things.

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So do that stuff I said after it rains.

If they retract OK with no drums, the shoes are sticking to the drums. But wet weather can exacerbate sticking cables that are corroded on the inside. Moisture swells things.
Will do, just thought I'd go the lazy route and see if anyone else had solved this issue before I tear into it myself since it's dumping snow and cold at the moment.

rjaaaaaa2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Will do, just thought I'd go the lazy route and see if anyone else had solved this issue before I tear into it myself since it's dumping snow and cold at the moment.
Not sure what causes this issue but I have experienced it to the degree that it's pulled a chunk of brake pad off and left it stuck to the inside of the drum. My truck sits for a week at a time with the emergency break on. I've tried different brake shoe manufacturers but still sticks every once and awhile after rain. Usually it just breaks lose with some movement under power. Had this truck since new in 2001, always hard on rear brakes. :dunno:

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what causes this issue but I have experienced it to the degree that it's pulled a chunk of brake pad off and left it stuck to the inside of the drum. My truck sits for a week at a time with the emergency break on. I've tried different brake shoe manufacturers but still sticks every once and awhile after rain. Usually it just breaks lose with some movement under power. Had this truck since new in 2001, always hard on rear brakes. :dunno:
Ah OK very interesting, the piece that got stuck to the drum and broke off, did it seem to be rusted on? did you ever try any other shoes with different friction material like ceramic?

rjaaaaaa2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ah OK very interesting, the piece that got stuck to the drum and broke off, did it seem to be rusted on? did you ever try any other shoes with different friction material like ceramic?
It was some how bonded to the drum, had to replace shoes and a few pieces torn up inside. Tried different cost ranges but n difference, no ceramic.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 2002 Ranger did the same. Then I swapped to Mustang GT rear disc brakes and no more sticking E-brakes.

I did find when pulling apart my original rear drum brakes that they were extremely cruddy and rusty inside even though there remained plenty of brake shoe. You might find the same in which case a good clean up may solve your problem.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I spent 42 years at a Ford dealer and I'll bet it's not the e brake:
Make sure the rear brakes are in good shape, cylinders free and not leaking ,adjusters free and working, parking brake cables free and adjusted,and shoes good and installed properly-shoes with short linings forward, long linings at the rear. Then seal all the holes in the backing plates with silicone so moisture can't get in. There was a TSB about this years ago that also listed updated shoes so I sealed the backing plates on my 2004 when I did the PDI and ordered the shoes. It never bothered so I never installed the updated shoes. I gave them away after they sat for 14 years, 2 months before I bought another drum brake Ranger.

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I spent 42 years at a Ford dealer and I'll bet it's not the e brake:
Make sure the rear brakes are in good shape, cylinders free and not leaking ,adjusters free and working, parking brake cables free and adjusted,and shoes good and installed properly-shoes with short linings forward, long linings at the rear. Then seal all the holes in the backing plates with silicone so moisture can't get in. There was a TSB about this years ago that also listed updated shoes so I sealed the backing plates on my 2004 when I did the PDI and ordered the shoes. It never bothered so I never installed the updated shoes. I gave them away after they sat for 14 years, 2 months before I bought another drum brake Ranger.
OK I'll try that and report back. Do you happen to have the number for that tsb?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I don't have the TSB number, it was from 2003-4.My 04 Ranger never locked up because I sealed the backing plates when I did the PDI like the TSB said. Seal every opening in the backing plates with silicone,no mateer how small. We used to find the left rear brakes were a rusty mess and the right rear wasn't bad,I always thought because of the way the air flow around the truck sucked up road grime and salt. NH salts the center of the road heaviest so it may have been just because the left wheels were running in the heaviest salt concentration. After the snow melts and the roads dry they are white with salt until the spring rain washes it away.

Zander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have the TSB number, it was from 2003-4.My 04 Ranger never locked up because I sealed the backing plates when I did the PDI like the TSB said. Seal every opening in the backing plates with silicone,no mateer how small. We used to find the left rear brakes were a rusty mess and the right rear wasn't bad,I always thought because of the way the air flow around the truck sucked up road grime and salt. NH salts the center of the road heaviest so it may have been just because the left wheels were running in the heaviest salt concentration. After the snow melts and the roads dry they are white with salt until the spring rain washes it away.
Yeah same here with the ridiculous amount of roadsalt. Well I'll try sealing them good and I'll report back if it helped. Thanks again!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you decide you need shoes I suspect a set for an 09 or a 10 would be the revised part.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals