• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark conversion.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ford always mounted it on the inner fender. All the wiring you need for it is located on the drivers side inner fender. That is were I have my HEI module mounted.

I will warn you though, the ranger pickup and the Bronco II I have both have this problem, I am assuming others have it too. There is no rubber flap down low on the drivers side inner fender to block road dirt and water from splashing up into the top of the drivers inner fender. Ford put a lot of wiring connectors over there and they all get corroded and have problems because of this. When you make a left turn and the front tire is angled and you are driving forward, all the water salt and dirt from the tire gets pitched up on top of the fender. That is the first mod I make now when I get one of these vehicles, is to get a piece of rubber and mount it to the inner fender down low and drap it over the steering shaft to block this from happening.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Ford always mounted it on the inner fender. All the wiring you need for it is located on the drivers side inner fender. That is were I have my HEI module mounted.
And that's also where my Duraspark module has been for the 13 years since the conversion was done. If I recall correctly the plastic liner even had holes already punched which lined up to the module ('84 model). And this location makes the wiring connections, mostly "plug-in", much easier.

Good idea on adding some extra splash protection, although I didn't on mine, but I've been lucky (and in a non-salted area) and haven't had any issues.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Are you missing the factory splash cover?
Didnt know they came with one. Both the 86 ranger and the 84 Bronco II didn't have one and had no remnants of one. I thought it was unusual the Ford engineers overlooked something so obvious. I wonder what people are doing over there that they are taking it off and not replacing it?

What year is that picture from?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Didnt know they came with one. Both the 86 ranger and the 84 Bronco II didn't have one and had no remnants of one. I thought it was unusual the Ford engineers overlooked something so obvious. I wonder what people are doing over there that they are taking it off and not replacing it?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"

Hmm, I'll be working on an '85 and will be curious to see if I have the same thing. If not, I'm pretty sure you can buy those splash guards from Rock Auto. I know I got one for the driver's side front fender well for my (old) '04 Ranger.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Microsquirt mega jolt lite

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't pay attention, you will pay someone else
I called the Cardone customer service line and with a little favor they agreed to produce a 30-2691 for me and send it thru Advance Auto Parts. Got it today.

Don't give up, keep on a knocking on the door at Cardone.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I called the Cardone customer service line and with a little favor they agreed to produce a 30-2691 for me and send it thru Advance Auto Parts. Got it today.

Don't give up, keep on a knocking on the door at Cardone.
I hope it works for you.

You do not happen to have a link to that number do you for Cardone? I just got to thinking, I have all the records at OReilly's for my lifetime guaranteed distributor they sold me. O Reilly's tried and tried to get me another distributor under warranty, but they did not have any. Would Cardone be a stand-up company and let O Reilly's send my distributor back and get it rebuilt under warranty? I wonder.

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Doing the DS II conversion on an 84 - where is the best location to install the coil & ignition module. Experience is better than experimentation. :)

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I hope it works for you.

You do not happen to have a link to that number do you for Cardone? I just got to thinking, I have all the records at OReilly's for my lifetime guaranteed distributor they sold me. O Reilly's tried and tried to get me another distributor under warranty, but they did not have any. Would Cardone be a stand-up company and let O Reilly's send my distributor back and get it rebuilt under warranty? I wonder.
Cardone has a "return & rebuild" program - give them a call. 800-777-4780 Customer Service

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Doing the DS II conversion on an 84 - where is the best location to install the coil & ignition module. Experience is better than experimentation. :)
I have no practical experience with this (just my $0.02) but from what I've seen/read, the most common location is on the driver's side inner fender liner, just forward of the brake master cylinder. This location provides easy access to the two wiring connectors and there even seems to be holes (or indents for holes) already in the liner. The downside is that this spot seems to be susceptible to road spray & debris when the truck makes a hard left turn.

So, do you try to extend the fender liner so road spray isn't an issue? Or, do you build some sort shield/box for the ignition module? We already know that the ign. module is subject to overheat so you'd want it someplace where it can stay cool.

I've seen them mounted on the firewall, just above the distributor. I've seen them mounted in the cab. Of course, that means you have to extend the wiring.

I've thought about adding a heat sink (which I've done on a motorcycle I owned). The ign. module has ribbing on the top surface but it's nothing like a heat sink from a computer. You just need to purchase the correct epoxy.

At this point, you need to decide what kind of effort you want to put into your install. Keep us posted on what you decide and why. Hope this helps.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
All the wiring you need is on the drivers side inner fender. I re-used the TFI ignition coil and just left it mounted where it was originally, which was on the driver's side fender also.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I usually mount mine to the plastic splash shield (on the driver's side) with 1/4" bolts and washers and space it abut 1/2" above the shield for air flow. I have seen ones mounted on the inner fender on the side panel, but, that may not have been stock.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
You can hose down a Duraspark module and it won't hurt a thing. We used to test for intermittent problems by whacking them with a hammer. The manual recommended "sufficient force" but advised against hitting it hard enough to distort the case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals