• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dumb Question But Oh Well...

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I want a suspension lift for my truck, and i was just wondering yesterday... On the axles, there is U bolts going to the leaf springs, and i was wondering if i could put something there in between the axle and leaf spring, have to get longer U bolts, but would it work? yea probably is a dumb question but...

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There is no dumb questions, we all had to start somewhere and thats the purpose of this site- to help and educate ranger owners.
Yes, you can go to pretty much any parts store and get some lift blocks and longer u-bolts and raise the rear end.
You can also check the junkyards, most 4x4 rangers have them stock.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ya thats not a dumb question, ya thats exactly what i put on my truck its a 3" lift block an longer u bolts and thats was all it took and its a very inexpensive way to lift your truck i think.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks, i wanted to ask u guys first cuz if i asked my bro he would jus laugh in my face, thanks

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Is This A Very Hard Thing To Do?, The way i look at it is get a jack and hold up the leaf springs on both sides, unscrew the 2 U bolts on each side, jack up the truck a few inches more, put in the lift blocks (Mostly Likely 3 or 4 hockey pucks), then get the longer U bolts and screw them right back on,

Easy As That?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
truck level,parking brake set, loosen and remove u-bolts.jack spring up just high enough to remove factory spacer(do not put fingers in between axle and spring)jack spring high enough to install new spacer,install spacer and ease spring down slowly.install u-bolts and repeat on opposite side.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks alot, :icon_cheers:, But why remove the factory spacers? cant i just leave them there and just add in more?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks alot, :icon_cheers:, But why remove the factory spacers? cant i just leave them there and just add in more?
good question,i did not.i don't like the idea personally,and others might tell you different,but it doesn't seem safe to me.maybe if they were welded,i'd be afraid of one slipping or coming loose and maybe flying off.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well, thats a good reason, but im not real worried if it fails, cuz i dont do like most ppl do offroading, you did that? dont you have a 2wd super street for impressing no one?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, thats a good reason, but im not real worried if it fails, cuz i dont do like most ppl do offroading, you did that? dont you have a 2wd super street for impressing no one?
yeah,it's the 2.8 with a whoping 100 or so horsepower,ha ha.i don't go off road at all,and put 2" lift blocks rear and f-150 2" coil spacers in the front.

when the 2.8 craps out,i'll either rebuild,go 302 or maybe a smallblock mopar like a 318,340 or 360.

i got the lift blocks and u-bolts at advance auto parts for $25,and it took 2 hours total.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
really?? thats awesome, yea theres U bolts here at crappy tire (canadian tire), they got everything, 2 hours man thats great next time my bud comes over we got a project :D,

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Is This A Very Hard Thing To Do?, The way i look at it is get a jack and hold up the leaf springs on both sides, unscrew the 2 U bolts on each side, jack up the truck a few inches more, put in the lift blocks (Mostly Likely 3 or 4 hockey pucks), then get the longer U bolts and screw them right back on,

Easy As That?
Were you kidding about the hockey pucks? I sure hope so. Get some real lift blocks, they're not expensive.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
no im not kidding, im goin with hockey pucks

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
GOOD IDEA, well not really, but o well, im goin with it the whole way

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals