• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duel Plugs Fire Together?

homebuiltbikes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 duel plug
Transmission
Manual
I read somewhere that I can switch the intake side plug wires to fire on the compression stroke (switch 1&4, 2&3) Has anybody heard of this? Theory is to have 2 plugs fire at same time instead of 1 on compression & 1 on exhaust. supposed to be that way for emmisions? Doe's this work? Can it improve power? ect.

12step

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Yes it will work weather it will give you any more power who knows try it and tell us how it works for you I have done it didn't really notice much other than runs a little rougher on decellerate but my egrs is disabled at the moment too ( because my egr is bad )sorry about my spelling auto spell has a mind of its own

Wicked13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Duel:

a prearranged combat between two persons, fought with deadly weapons according to an accepted code of procedure, especially to settle a private quarrel.
any contest between two persons or parties.

Dual:

of, pertaining to, or noting two.
composed or consisting of two people, items, parts, etc., together; twofold; double: dual ownership; dual controls on a plane.
having a twofold, or double, character or nature.

and...

It's not going to give you any power.

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
they already fire at the same time +/-

each coil pack has 2 coils in it that serve 2 cylinders each....1 & 4, 2 & 3.

so when cyl #1 needs to fire on the compression stroke the coil fires both cylinders, #4 is on its exhaust stroke and so the spark is "wasted".

you cannot modify a perfectly working system lol

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
with the dual coil pack setup you have 4 coils in total, so it is feasible to think you could have each pack fire for only one cylinder's compression stroke and run both wires on that pack to the same cylinder. Then there would be no waste. Think youd have to have a cam sensor for that to be possible. But i don't see that making any more power. needs more air in there not more fire! That's just me being logical though, I've never done anything like this or heard of it done Ect.. so correct me if i'm wrong.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Right track

with the dual coil pack setup you have 4 coils in total, so it is feasible to think you could have each pack fire for only one cylinder's compression stroke and run both wires on that pack to the same cylinder. Then there would be no waste. Think youd have to have a cam sensor for that to be possible. But i don't see that making any more power. needs more air in there not more fire! That's just me being logical though, I've never done anything like this or heard of it done Ect.. so correct me if i'm wrong.
You would have to increase the AIR and the FUEL ratio to see an increase in power.If you did this it would make more power.Older Harleys do the same fire on exhaust stroke also,there are kits to turn it into a single fire system smooths them right out but then the timing marks differ between the front and rear cylinders also I dont know if ford did this.:dunno:

Last edited:

homebuiltbikes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 duel plug
Transmission
Manual
Well I switched my intake side coil pack 1 for 4, 2 for 3 and I noticed a big differance. It started much faster, ran smoother, and definatly has a little more power! I can cruise at 45 in fifth and it has plenty of pull, no need to downshift any more! I have to say that many other mods were done to my 2.3. Electric fan, Removed entire EGR system,Installed EGR elimanator circut in ECU. Cold air ram intake, Bore matched entire intake MAS to head. Free flow exhaust with no cat, Thrush glass pack, silencer tip, all 2"
Awhile back I had an always rich code. I tried everything I could think of to fix this and got many suggestions here but the only thing that fixed it was to side gap my plugs, an ol'racer trik, look it up! a cool alternative to those gimmic plugs like E3 etc... and much cheaper.
Before all these mods I was gettin bout 15 mpg, after changing every sencor and cleaning the MAS got bout 18 mpg. after intake & exhaust, 22 mpg. And after switching plug timing & side gappin the plugs, 26 mpg.
I would say the most important things were the o2 sencor & a really clean MAS sencor. these two things are in charge of what happens with every thing else. I reset the ECU after these two installs but I havent touched it since. The ecu seems to adjust it self really well on its own.
I've been playin wit this ranger 2.3 for awhile now and I dont think it can get much better than it is. Best runnin motor I ever had! Thanks Ranger Station & every body for all yer help! It's been a learning experiance for me and I couldnt have don it with out ya! I'm a Chevy man by birth but this ford is excellent!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals