• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveline Fitment

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
nice. i would not try it since i am the grinder and bench guy, ha ha ha.

i suppose that didn't come across well enough in my post, rereading the "serious machine shop stuff" post. i should have put some more wording in their so it didn't seem like i was putting yall down. it was not supposed to sound that way.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
nice. i would not try it since i am the grinder and bench guy, ha ha ha.

i suppose that didn't come across well enough in my post, rereading the "serious machine shop stuff" post. i should have put some more wording in their so it didn't seem like i was putting yall down. it was not supposed to sound that way.
No worries buddy. I didn’t perceive it in a rude way

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After checking out exploded views of both transfer cases, I believe the 1356 and 4406 share the same design when it comes to retaining the worm gear to the shaft (I would make sure to get the correct 4406 parts though). Looking back into my files I did find this thread from 2006 (attached). @410Fortune seemed to figure it out. However, due to the post being so old the pics were unavailable. I also remember another thread I had dug up where the author was successful at "machining" the 4406 output shaft with a dremel tool to accept the retaining ball for the speedo conversion. With you being a machinist I will follow closely to how you solve this one. From what I can tell it can be done. Just need to make sure you have the right tailhousing.

Attachments

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
From what I can tell it can be done. Just need to make sure you have the right tailhousing.
Good shit. Nothing a little carbide can’t handle eh. I’ll try to document thoroughly enough for this thread anyhow - may get an article out of it

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From what vehicle did you source your 4406? Does it still have the ID tag? My electronic shift 4406 came from a '99 F150 which I believe had the speed sensor located in rear differential. My tailhousing has the speedometer hole and mounting boss but the hole has an aluminum cap and the boss would need to be drilled and tapped for the speedometer sensor mounting bolt. No biggie. Im looking at going with a manual box but parts are tough to find out here in Hawaii. I located a manual 4406 in a 2003 F150 but it appears to have a speed sensor in the tailhousing. If I picked it up I probably could put together something that works between the two (manual box with speedo).

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thats the same case (4406-21 XL34-AC) that I was thinking of grabbing from the local junker. Manual w/o TOD and speed sensor hole. Hoping this goes smooth for you!

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Thats the same case (4406-21 XL34-AC) that I was thinking of grabbing from the local junker. Manual w/o TOD and speed sensor hole. Hoping this goes smooth for you!

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice job! So the retainer and ball are same p/n's for both the 1356 and 4406? Did you just source them from your 1356?
Did you use a .250 bit or oversized?

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Nice job! So the retainer and ball are same p/n's for both the 1356 and 4406? Did you just source them from your 1356?
Did you use a .250 bit or oversized?
Correct - the drive gear is compatible as well. I would like to have drilled it with a 1/4 drill but I did not have a carbide drill in 1/4, only HSS, so I had to use slight oversize 6.5mm(.256") drill. Fit in final assembly was tolerable - more slop than you would expect but I deduce it's to reduce wear on the gears being plastic and all.

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Perfect. So I will just use the ball and retainer from the 1356 I have sitting in my shed. And I think I can make the tail housing I have on my '99 Electric 4406 work as well. The truck I sourced if from used the differential VSS for speed and the tail housing hole is blanked off with a cap. Will just need to tap a hole for the mounting bolt. Thanks for capturing this conversion with the photos and separate thread.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Perfect. So I will just use the ball and retainer from the 1356 I have sitting in my shed. And I think I can make the tail housing I have on my '99 Electric 4406 work as well. The truck I sourced if from used the differential VSS for speed and the tail housing hole is blanked off with a cap. Will just need to tap a hole for the mounting bolt. Thanks for capturing this conversion with the photos and separate thread.
If I can do it you can do it. Good luck!

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Two items I have questions on:
1) Whats the purpose of the wire that goes thru the tail housing base into the case? How did you deal with it? is it necessary for a manual case?
2) What is the difference between the speedo tail housing and the one originally on the case? Is modifying the electric case tail housing at all possible to accept the speedo?

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Two items I have questions on:
1) Whats the purpose of the wire that goes thru the tail housing base into the case? How did you deal with it? is it necessary for a manual case?
2) What is the difference between the speedo tail housing and the one originally on the case? Is modifying the electric case tail housing at all possible to accept the speedo?
The wires are part of the electric shift assembly if yours is equipped w that. It would have been bundled into the motor harness. I snipped the plug to get the housing off
IMG_0282.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

As for your second question… angle, location and diameter of Speedo hole
IMG_0281.jpeg

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
image.jpg
Welded the piece back in that I cut out initially for the BW1356 - considering using the 2 holes on the frame and studs on the Tcase to make a drop bracket to support the added weight of BW4406 being that the ZF5 tail is aluminum. Much more comfortable with front driveshaft angle now as well

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals