• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door jamb sticker

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Maximum weight allow for vehicle, passengers and cargo, if you pulled vehicle on to a scale its the max. weight that can be on the 4 tires
Remember rear of pickup can have 1,000 extra pounds added, 1/2 ton rating, so yes for GVWR rear can be heavier than front fully loaded in some models, but headlights are pointed at the sky, lol

No, they won't add up, Front and Rear are maximun AXLE weight ratings, you may have less weight on front but you shouldn't go above rear axle rating or visa versa
And the total of both axles can't exceed GVWR

And different models will have different GVWR, i.e. regular cab, supercab, long bed, 2WD and 4x4

Look up Curb weight of your model, say its 3,400lbs
GVWR is 4920, so 4920 - 3400 = 1,520lbs allowed for passengers and cargo
If Curb weight is 3,000 then 1,920lbs for passengers and cargo

So GVWR is good to know but need to know Curb weight as well for it to mean much
And Gross Axle Weight Rating(GAWR) also needs to be considered
And if you have a trailer then tongue weight needs to be added to rear axle(GAWR) and GVWR

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
IMG_20220523_174344171.jpg

Anything on here help?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
OK thanks. I suppose I could weigh the truck to get curb weight, but are they talking with a full tank of gas? Also I'd have to take out tool box. Doesn't sound practical.
The '92 STX in today's dollars would be $35k - probably a good bargain. $367 to get power windows/locks was a heck of a deal. Mileage low is 9 (!) in city. That sounds about right.
Cargo cover delete was probably a good choice. Wish I had the door sticker... I wonder if dealer keeps a copy of them?

I don't know how to find curb weight, it's going to be different per truck depending on the options. They weighed the trucks as they came off the line? Empty gas tank? Hard to know.

Note that accessory reserves are always small, a handful of pounds. Don't know how they arrive at it or what it is. One of the examples above has 4 lbs front reserve. What in the world?

It looks like if you add up front/rear axle numbers it's always (in these examples) 360 or 370 lbs less than the GVWR. That helps only a little...

One thing I haven't done is get the spring codes and see if I can find the capacity for those specific springs and see if it makes sense for axle max's.

Not sure where to go from here.... but... Merry Christmas!

ps keep those door stickers coming... sooner or later someone will have a '97 with the same weight and springs and options....

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1989-1992 regular cab 2WD should have curb weight of 3,000lbs, dry, add 20lbs for fluids, i.e. coolant and oils
Gallon of gas weighs 6 pounds, full tank add 100lbs
Extended cab add 200lbs
4x4 add 300lbs

1993 and up add 200lbs, so starts at 3,200lbs regular cab

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
so 3200 plus 20 plus 100 plus 200 plus 300 = 3820 curb weight? which I could verify by filling the tank, taking everything off (like cargo box), and weighing it.
it is highly interesting not required for sticker but it might work into the calculations somehow

wheels/tires would change it a little, 235'2 and 265's weigh different; minor but it's there.

4920 (my actual gross) less 3820 (assumed curb weight)= 1,100 lbs. Say 2 passengers is 300 lbs (min), that is saying I can carry 800 more lbs?
On the other hand with one person only, it would figure 950 lbs or, roughly speaking, 1/2 ton.

I have the cargo box, no idea its weight, aluminum is light, but with stuff in it let's say 200 lbs. Leaves me 600 lbs (with 2 people)

that's still quite a bit but if you add things like bumpers (if they're heavier) /tire carrier, overland rack, etc plus gear you could max it I bet.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, specific curb weight varies even in the same wheelbase
AC, Power windows and door locks, add a few pounds, maybe 40lbs
Engine and transmission combo also varies curb weight

Our dump charges by weight, so when you exit you can get your curb weight
My 1994 4.0l 4x4 manual trans, AC, power group, with fiberglas canopy, empty bed, trips the scale at 3,900lbs
I am 250lbs and canopy should be about 150lbs
So 3,500lbs curb weight, usually 1/2 tank of gas
My GVWR is 5,060lbs

So 1,560lbs allow for driver/passenger and cargo

But it does have Red paint so much lighter than other colors, which makes it much faster than other Rangers
Add 200lbs for non-Red paint :)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
OK thanks. I suppose I could weigh the truck to get curb weight, but are they talking with a full tank of gas? Also I'd have to take out tool box. Doesn't sound practical.
The '92 STX in today's dollars would be $35k - probably a good bargain. $367 to get power windows/locks was a heck of a deal. Mileage low is 9 (!) in city. That sounds about right.
Cargo cover delete was probably a good choice. Wish I had the door sticker... I wonder if dealer keeps a copy of them?

I don't know how to find curb weight, it's going to be different per truck depending on the options. They weighed the trucks as they came off the line? Empty gas tank? Hard to know.

Note that accessory reserves are always small, a handful of pounds. Don't know how they arrive at it or what it is. One of the examples above has 4 lbs front reserve. What in the world?

It looks like if you add up front/rear axle numbers it's always (in these examples) 360 or 370 lbs less than the GVWR. That helps only a little...

One thing I haven't done is get the spring codes and see if I can find the capacity for those specific springs and see if it makes sense for axle max's.

Not sure where to go from here.... but... Merry Christmas!

ps keep those door stickers coming... sooner or later someone will have a '97 with the same weight and springs and options....
Curb weight would vary widely, but if you can get it on a scale somewhere, you can get a pretty good idea. Around here, scrap yards, bigger landscape supply yards and dumps usually have scales. Depending on how often they have them calibrated, they may or may not be overly accurate but they should get you reasonably close.

So I got lucky with that window sticker for the 92, when I got the truck (used with a few owners), the owners manual and stuff was still in the glove box. One day I noticed something sticking out of the packet and got curious and it turned out to be the sticker. Out of all the other ones here, I believe the only other one I have the window sticker for is my blue 2000 which I bought new. Well, my parents bought it and surprised me with it but I paid for it. I’ll have to dig that sticker out of my records. Weather is brutal here right now, so it might be a couple days to get the rest of the door tags.

Merry Christmas to you an yours too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals