• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

does it matter ?

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hi , i recently bought a pretty much rust free black tailgate (paint is in pretty good shape with only one minor scratch) for $75 to replace the rusty one on my 99 ranger (kind of a dark green color) , anyways i was wondering what the majority 's opinion of , if i need to get the gate painted to match the truck or just leave it black ? , i've seen brand new car's with black panel's on a white/gray car before , but never on a truck , just wondering if not painting it will diminish the resale value of the truck in the future , i plan to probably sell this truck in the spring , so basicly just trying to get an idea of what's the best thing to do , thanks

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
If you know how to paint...do it....all it'll cost you is the paint.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
If I were to buy the truck, I'd rather have good factory paint that was a different color, than a crappy paint job that matched. That said, the tailgate only takes a minute to change, so if somebody really cared they could change it quite easily.

mk42gunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I go to look at a truck; if it has a mismatched tailgate, I automatically think the original one was damaged and start looking harder for other things wrong with the vehicle.

It will cost some bucks to get a matching clearcoat paintjob, even if you do it yourself, but I think it would be worth it. I really do not like mismatched body panels on any vehicle.

Robert

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
if you are going to sell it, keep the original tailgate and throw it in the bed for the prospective buyer to see why it was replaced. then after they buy it, they can decide to put the original tailgate with matching paint and rust back on, paint the new tailgate to match the rest of the truck or just drive it as is.

If the rest of the truck looks really good and an the tailgate was the only blemish, I would have it professionally repainted to match if I were keeping it. If the truck is a bit beat up, I would just leave it as is.

AJ

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The TVM(true market value) listing for a 1999 ranger is between $2,700 and $3,300 depending on options, i.e. x-tra cab, 4x4, etc...

So I doubt you would get the money back you spend on a professional paint job, and could even reduce the value if color is not an exact match.
I would do as 97RangerXLT suggested, put on the new tail gate and have the old one to show and include in the sale.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the opinion's and thought's , the truck is not mint , has some surface rust on the rear fenders , a couple small holes on the wheel well in the bed (about 1'') in diameter , and the rear bumper bracket's need replaceing , whitch i plan to repair , but overall is still very solid , also as sunk mentioned , i don't know much about professional automotive painting and would be worryed that the new paint would look worse then the factory black paint , i'll also include the original tailgate in the sale , thanks for the idea 97rangerXLT , also a couple pics of my truck and the newer tailgate
, thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals