• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel tractor motor

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual
I dont know if this has been covered or not on this forum but i was watching a youtube video on putting a tractor motor in a truck and making 50+ mpg's. It was in a 2wd i think but i'd like to do this to a 4x4 ik it wouldnt get 50+ mpg's BUT it would be better then the less than 18 im gettin now. Does anyone know of a tractor motor that is capable of being able to do interstate speeds at a low enough rpm at 80 mph? I know alot of that will be the diff's and trans but what engine would be the best to yank out of a tractor and start fabbing up the engine mounts and all that? Any info and input you have feel free. Thanks y'all

pickup

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Generally speaking, your conversion idea is probably more trouble than what its worth. If you are talking John Deere, Case, IH, tractors, a "big" 4 cyl only puts out about 60 hp, these are some of the other cons:

Engines 1990 and newer
-most have some sort of computer controlled pumps and governers.
-bellhousing pattern wont match any automotive type. you will need to make an adapter plate.
-clutches are usually oil type and very large

Older engines (1990 and older)
-most 6 cyl are physically too big
-4 cyl are heavy and underpowered.
-all have variable speed governers
-factory turbos are too slow to spool
-bellhousing adapter plate needs to be fabbed

Most ag engines do not use automotive-type engine mounts. They are typically held by the bellhousing in the rear and a bracket beneath the balancer at the front. Because of this, blocks are heavier and oilpans are cast to add stength, subsequently adding weght.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I think I saw that video too, but all depends on what tractor you get it from. I have had the thought of a detriot 353 under the hood of a ranger.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Generally speaking, your conversion idea is probably more trouble than what its worth. If you are talking John Deere, Case, IH, tractors, a "big" 4 cyl only puts out about 60 hp, these are some of the other cons:

Engines 1990 and newer
-most have some sort of computer controlled pumps and governers.
-bellhousing pattern wont match any automotive type. you will need to make an adapter plate.
-clutches are usually oil type and very large

Older engines (1990 and older)
-most 6 cyl are physically too big
-4 cyl are heavy and underpowered.
-all have variable speed governers
-factory turbos are too slow to spool
-bellhousing adapter plate needs to be fabbed

Most ag engines do not use automotive-type engine mounts. They are typically held by the bellhousing in the rear and a bracket beneath the balancer at the front. Because of this, blocks are heavier and oilpans are cast to add stength, subsequently adding weght.

acme adapters can adapt most of these tractor type engines to an automotive type transmission.

factory turbos are generally reconfigurable, at least easily upgraded with a different turbo

i do agree for a ranger the larger engines are not easy. and worse the easy ranger fits are also likely to be more expensive all around as well--(assuming stockish 2wd/4wd factory suspension trucks)

50 mpg???:icon_confused: hmmm....hard to see as easily repeatable but i am sure its been done.

pickup

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
acme adapters can adapt most of these tractor type engines to an automotive type transmission.
I had called them about getting an adapter for a 354 Perkins a few years ago for a neighbour's 1985 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 4 spd, and they said "Sorry, we dont do ag engines."
Maybe if a guy was close by, he could get something done custom by them, I didnt ask though. I ended up building it myself in the end.

There is a 4 cyl engine that will work, sort of, its from Ford 4000, and 5000 tractors built in the 70's. Non turbo'd they put out about 65-75 hp. If you were to stick a turbo on, and tweaked the pump, maybe 100 hp is possible.
They have the same bolt pattern as the small block Ford gassers.

There is a 6 cyl from a 6000 Ford tractor that works the same way, but its a fairly long engine. Maybe get upwards of 115 hp.

I have seen these engines installed in pickups locally. Even one in a 59 Edsel!

2 drawbacks are the pumps are very expensive to fix and there is really no way around the variable speed governer.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Here's a company that makes adapters. http://www.phxgrp.com/transFord.htm

None too cheap but a lot of the work is already done to adapt an Ag (or industrial) engine to a Ford transmission, as long as the engine manufacturer is using standard SAE bellhousings.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
I have a 35 horse Zen Ho tractor made by Yanmar, the one that was in the accident, the engine runs fine. Our hay guy offered us like $500 for it, but if you make an offer it can be yours! For a limited time only!

And wait! theres more! if you act now you can pay for the shipping!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guys, keep in mind that tractors are rated at the PTO not at the flywheel. My 1950's tractor has a 20hp difference between its PTO rating and that same engine as a stationary power unit (45hp to 60something). Newer fancier rigs have more extra stuff to draw on the engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals