• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

diagnosing gear wear

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Guys,

Hoping someone whose got extensive transmission experience (AllanD!) can look at a gear and tell me what would cause this type of wear.

It's a distributor/oil pump drive gear on a non-RBV.

It's well covered in oil so I don't think it's lubrication.

Could it be poor tooth profile design, poor machining tolerance or substandard materials?

If this gear is worn this way and I replace it, is the camshaft gear it mates to likely worn and will it just wear the new driven gear the same way?

I've got my fingers crossed that the other gear is significantly harder, wore down the imperfections on this one and additional wear has ceased. No traces of metal in my oil so maybe it's been this way for a while?

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen this on a few dodge distributors, correct me if i'm wrong on the make

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen this on a few dodge distributors, correct me if i'm wrong on the make
pretty close, Jeep. Apparently it's an issue with late 2004 to 2006 Wranglers with 4.0. Technically it's not a "distributor" per se, it's actually an oil pump drive assembly with camshaft locator, basically it looks like a distributor but instead of plug wires coming out of it, it's got a toothed wheel with a camshaft position sensor on it.

There's a TSB on it but no recall. Chryslers response to it has varied from a teardown and replacement of camshaft along with the OPDA, to just replacement of the OPDA or retrofit with another gear that involves redrilling a new locator hole for the roll pin.

At this stage I think just replacing the OPDA or the gear would be ok, but I've seen some (with much fewer miles than mine, even) where it was completely trashed.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
D/C/J it's all the same, we have put 2 in my buddys truck, next time we will probably have to put a cam in it, and dodge won't do anything for him. I've done several in my shop...

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The part number for the OPDA is still the same but it's now got a Rev E on it in the serial number instead of a Rev B like mine. Haven't figured out whether the E includes a change in that gear.

I'm probably gonna start with taking it to Chrysler (still under the 7 yr/70k mile powertrain warranty) and see what they say. I'll try to get a new camshaft put in with a new OPDA or the retrofitted gear.

If they won't do the camshaft I'll probably just change to the older gear and monitor the wear on it.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
ok, apparently the Rev E has the same problem.

Replacement assemblies are on indefinite backorder from Chrysler, with about 250 units on the backorder list. Those with the backorders have been told around end of September.

Apparently the supplier went under so they're having to get new units made by someone else. Hopefully the new units will include a different gear - maybe the one from the pre-04 models that doesn't have wear issues.

This has gone to the extent of people performing Rockwell hardness tests on the gears to compare them, and found the hardness of the new gear to be identical to the old, so it's not a soft gear issue. The blocks are the same so there shouldn't be an alignment issue, so I'm leaning toward an actual gear design issue. Worm gears are among the most sensitive gear types to tooth profile, because the contact between the gears is friction instead of impact.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ell, my buddys completely stripped this morning, looks like a tear down and a cam and all is gonna have to go in...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals