• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dealer installed AC hoses

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know where I can get AC hoses for factory installed AC? They have compression fittings at the evaporator and are hose clamped everywhere else. Was able to get the receiver/dryer from NAPA, but they only list the hoses for factory air not dealer air. Advance Auto lists their hoses as applicable for (Tough One or factory air) can the one end be cut off to work with the hose clamps at the compressor and receiver/dryer? My hoses are 5/8 and 5/16. but the don't list sizes on their websites. Any help would be appreciated.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
a little confused as to what you have: Factory Air or dealer air.

for my 97 I was able to get the factory air hoses off of Rock Auto. fairly reasonable prices. the size will be the same for your truck, so if it is listed for an 88 with your engine you should be good to go. Rock auto even had dealer air hoses too. you will want to make sure that the new hoses are of the barrier type, as you are probably going to be converting to 134a... also be sure to flush out the condenser and evaporator. If you are doing it yourself, I will say that after you buy the tools needed and the flush solvent, it is only a few more bucks and a few more bolts to remove to just replace the evap and condenser... but if you have access to the tools :)

another option would be to have a shop that specializes in custom car a/c to take your old hoses and make you new ones... probably be pretty spendy tho..

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Oh p dot s...

I would definitely *not* recommend cutting the hoses and trying to adapt the new hose to your fittings... at least not doing it yourself. I would let an experienced shop do that. (see comment on finding a shop that builds custom a/c systems...Find someone who has a rat rod or old car that they had a/c retrofitted into it and find out where they had it done.)

AJ

CAD

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input, checked with a parts house that makes hoses and they couldn't help me. The fittings that I needed are no longer available. So I left there on Friday and went to the U-pull-it yard and grabbed all of the components from an 89 Ranger for factory air. Evaporator, condenser, hoses, compressor, wiring, and air box. Purchased a new receiver/dryer, seal kit, expansion tube, belt, and AC flush.

Finished demoing out that junk dealer installed AC and put the complete factory air system in. Flushed out all components and vacuumed out the system and Recharged. Finished up a short time ago and took it for a run down the highway and around town. Works great, so cold I think you could hang beef in the cab. Everything checks out good, idle comes up with compressor on, no overheating in traffic, engine compartment is much cleaner looking, just couldn't ask for any better.

Total cost for conversion to factory air:
U-pull-it parts - 55.00
receiver/dryer - 23.00
seal kit - 6.00
AC flush - 14.00
Freon - 18.00
Chilling down - PRICELESS :yahoo:
total - 116.00 + tax

Time spent 4hrs at U-pull-it 12hrs installing in my truck (although I spent at least 6hrs of that doing some other maintenance items that needed to be done heater and radiator hoses flushing out engine and re-sodering my filler neck on radiator). So approx. 10hrs start to finish.

Would recommend this for anyone with a malfunctioning dealer installed air unit or any truck that did not have air conditioning at all. The main harness of the ranger is made to accomadate all options, just plug and play. These trucks are awesome. :icon_thumby:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Sweet!

glad you got it all worked out and together

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals