• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dans 94, RCSB, 4.0, 4x4, 5spd

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would go with "installation error". It is easy to make one there if you;re not careful or maybe not sure how it goes.
Not long after I bought my 93 I had a tire put on it and the kid who was given the task of installing it pulled the wheel off and the previous owners shop had put the hub on with using any locking washers. I was able to see somewhat from the waiting room, but was nigh on to making the window an entrance to the shop

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would go with "installation error". It is easy to make one there if you;re not careful or maybe not sure how it goes.
Not long after I bought my 93 I had a tire put on it and the kid who was given the task of installing it pulled the wheel off and the previous owners shop had put the hub on with using any locking washers. I was able to see somewhat from the waiting room, but was nigh on to making the window an entrance to the shop
Not sure how I could have done it wrong, I’ll try to replicate it tomorrow when I pick up the new manual swap parts. Thankfully O’Reillys has the part a few hours away and it will be ready for pickup in the morning. That gives me a spare set to put in the tool box along with the spare hub, bearings, and seals as well.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don;t see the key in any of that

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don;t see the key in any of that
The circle washer dude with the small holes in it, index onto the outside of the second lock nut. Usually it has a nub in the inside that fits into the groove cut in the axle shaft locking them both from being able to back out. It sheared clean off somehow and I didn’t see the bits in the greasy mess.

All this started just by locking the hubs in and driving about 5 miles down pavement before I felt it pull me to the driver side twice. As if a caliper temporarily stuck, I realized I may have exceeded 55mph possibly up to 65-70mph before I felt that tug. I can’t imagine that would cause any issues tho, it was for a very short period.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's the reason I like the auto, it's so easy to lock them in or out. I've only ever locked mine in on pavement once, and that was about 15 years ago.
We had a bit of snow and ice the night before and going through town I slid past my turn, pushed the button to engage and backed up, then pushed the button to disengage and drove on in 2W
It isn't so tempting to leave them locked in when they;re not really needed

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That's the reason I like the auto, it's so easy to lock them in or out. I've only ever locked mine in on pavement once, and that was about 15 years ago.
We had a bit of snow and ice the night before and going through town I slid past my turn, pushed the button to engage and backed up, then pushed the button to disengage and drove on in 2W
It isn't so tempting to leave them locked in when they;re not really needed
I get that, I still have my autos in my parts pile. I just enjoy 2lo too much, when on trails I pretty much stay in 2lo the entire time. Florida trails aren’t very challenging most of the time, so it’s fun to just spin the tires and rip around without worrying about hurting the clutch by slipping it too much in sand or on a hill climb.

My ultimate goal would be twin sticks so I could disconnect either end from the cab, but that’s expensive.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like 2lo also, I use it cruising around the back pasture.
This is the only 4wd I ever owned I guess, and they didn't advertise it 4wd cause the button wasn't working.
First thing I did was look underneath when she went in to get the keys, and i saw the transfer case

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I like 2lo also, I use it cruising around the back pasture.
This is the only 4wd I ever owned I guess, and they didn't advertise it 4wd cause the button wasn't working.
First thing I did was look underneath when she went in to get the keys, and i saw the transfer case
How do you use 2lo with auto hubs?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Push the button and give it the gas, it will shift on the fly.
To disengage it has to hit reverse about 5 or 10 ft to unlock it, then drive normal. Our back pasture is a sandy type soil, the rest of the place is black dirt

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Push the button and give it the gas, it will shift on the fly.
To disengage it has to hit reverse about 5 or 10 ft to unlock it, then drive normal. Our back pasture is a sandy type soil, the rest of the place is black dirt
That’s into 4lo tho right? All the tires are spinning?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, 4 Low, it only does low in 4WD. 2 LO I drive around the back pasture just at idle

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The point Dan is saying is that with auto hubs you cannot get into 2 low, you have no way to disengage the front axle if the transfer case is spinning the front driveshaft...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What is 2 low? All I know is it has 5 gears plus reverse in 2wd, and when you go to 4WD it has the same set of gears. In 4WD it has the same gears and in 4WD Low Range it has 5 gears so I guess it has 15 gears :D

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
2 low is low range with the hubs unlocked so you are in 2 wheel drive but low range so you can go slower moving trailers or doing more technical things without scuffing the tires being in 4x4...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So you can have the two rear wheels in low, through a low gear in the transfer case, without it also engaging the front axle?
I think I'm starting to see a small part of what you're trying to say but I really don't quite understand

OK I just re-read that first line, it makes sense now :) But how do you get low without going through the transfer case?

Ahhh, nevermind, I got it :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals