• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana28 TTB to dana44 TTB

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this and have everything work properly. I've been thinking that just mounting the 44 into the 28 mounts, trimming the axle shaft, and moving the upper spring mounts away from the frame was the easiest method. Someone on FB suggested this bracket kit.

Has anyone used it on a 1gen ranger? Will I still be able to install skyjackers 4 inch lift kit?

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This probably belongs in the axle section...if the powers that be could make that happen please. Thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's been done... that conversion kit you posted is the drop brackets that allow you to bolt in a D44, since it's wider than the D28 and D35. If you use that, you will NOT be able to use Skyjacker drop brackets nor will the Skyjacker radius arms work. About the only useful part of a Skyjacker lift with a D44 would be the springs.

What's your objective for wanting a D44? A Dana 35 can be modified with D44 spindle, rotor and locking hub... that removes the one major weak point (wheel bearings) and gives you a much stronger locking hub at the same time. You lose a tiny bit of strength in the ring & pinion and axle shafts vs a D44 but the weight and ease of installing a D35 more than make up for that.

There are some advantages to using a D44 but it's a lot of work and expense. Personally I think a lot of people are better off with a modified D35.

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's been done... that conversion kit you posted is the drop brackets that allow you to bolt in a D44, since it's wider than the D28 and D35. If you use that, you will NOT be able to use Skyjacker drop brackets nor will the Skyjacker radius arms work. About the only useful part of a Skyjacker lift with a D44 would be the springs.

What's your objective for wanting a D44? A Dana 35 can be modified with D44 spindle, rotor and locking hub... that removes the one major weak point (wheel bearings) and gives you a much stronger locking hub at the same time. You lose a tiny bit of strength in the ring & pinion and axle shafts vs a D44 but the weight and ease of installing a D35 more than make up for that.

There are some advantages to using a D44 but it's a lot of work and expense. Personally I think a lot of people are better off with a modified D35.
I already have a Dana 44 TTB from an f150 I had before this project started. So I would have to sell it and then find a Dana 35. I don't think the weight will be an issue since I'm putting and built 302 in the truck. I've just been working with as much of what I already have as I can. If I found a Dana 35, all I'd need are the spindles off of my 44 and then it would bolt right up? I'm not entirely against that as long as it'll handle the engine.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I hear that. I try to use what I have too.

There are a few different ways to get the bigger/better D44 parts on a D35... you can ream out the ball joint holes and put D44 knuckles on it, or you can do the "mappyjack" method and use Chevy spindles/brakes/hub/rotor, or you can use mid 90's full size Bronco spindles, hub, rotor. That's my favorite, you just need to have a machine shop turn down the OD of the rotors a little and you can use the D35 caliper and pad. Almost a bolt on deal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals