• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dad's Truck Needs Help (Leaf Springs)

Dep. Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dad's Truck:
2000 Ford F150 Pickup
4.2 (V6) 5sp. 2WD Ext. Cab

I want to do some things to his truck for Christmas. I am going to paint his grill black. But his truck sags in the rear end. I think this is due to all the maxed out loads and towing his trailer for some years.

So my question is:
Which models and years of trucks (like F250s..maybe) can I pull the leaf springs off of at the local JY, to raise the truck's rear?

Thanks in advance guys!

Dep. Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You'll have to check the spring width, IIRC Ford used 2.5" springs and 3" springs. I do believe the length is the same for F-150, F-250 and F-350 rear springs.

I'm going through this sort of thing with my F-150 (1995 F-150 4x4), the one spring pack has a cracked leaf an a half ton of weight will put it on the bump stops on both sides. Naturally, this is not acceptable for a work truck...

I got a set of F-250 springs that will fit, they were off an 80's F-250 4x4 (I have 3" wide springs), but I've been a little hesitant to stick them on, because they are only 4-leaf packs and what's on my truck now is a 3-leaf. But I don't want to stiffen up the rear so much that it rides like I welded the axle to the frame unless I have a load on.

Thus I've been looking for helper springs (Ford put them on some trucks, they're an additional spring pack that goes on top of the regular pack and has a pair of brackets that bolt to the frame). My F-150 looks like it has holes in the frame where the brackets would mount to for helper springs. So I'll either stick with a 4-leaf pack and the helpers or I might stick a 5-leaf pack on (cut a custom long leaf or something).

I've customized spring packs for Rangers and Bronco II's before. Leaf springs are easy to work with.

Dep. Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Alright. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out some JYs.
Anyone else???

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure how much of a problem it will be down there, but up here rust and wear on the spring eyes is a big issue. I usually end up cutting the bolts off because they are frozen in the bushing in the spring eyes. I picked up a set of urethane bushings from Summit Racing and just got new bolts to use when I swap my leafs. You should probably get new U-bolts too.

I always break apart the packs and replace the wear pads on the ends of the leafs and put a new centering bolt in too, might as well do it when everything is torn apart and it's not all that expensive to do, just use a big C-clamp or two to compress the pack back together and I usually stick a big phillips screwdriver or something through the centering pin hole while I'm compressing it down, just to keep it all lined up.

Dep. Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the useful info LilBlueFord! I will have to get some time and measure some things on his truck. I love JY Shopping!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the useful info LilBlueFord! I will have to get some time and measure some things on his truck. I love JY Shopping!
No problem! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals