• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D44 knuckle on D35 swap questions

fleming2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would like to do this swap on my truck but I have a few questions that I tried to find the answers to but cant.
I know that my bolt pattern will change, what do I need to do the rear diff. in order to match, axles, brakes and so on.
Also, I this setup a good idea for a daily driver. I would imagine so but opinions will help. Lastly, I want to keep my TTB setup so please no suggestions on going to a solid axle. thanks

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have thought of this as well.....have only blown one lockout so far and no issues with the bearings....but then i am only runnin' 32's....but if i go to 35's will definately be doin this swap ( i like the TTB myself as well )

and with the larger rotor and pads as well as bearings, it is a very good upgrade, especially for a daily driver

as far as the rear is concerned...get some spacers with the correct lug pattern ya want ( no need to change axles and what not, but that is assuming you have an 8.8 )

l8r, John

fleming2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I have a 8.8, but wont adding a spacer-adapter setup creating a possible weak point? What about usind the drum brake setup from a bronco 8.8 and find axles that have the bigger bolt pattern, if they do exsist?

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I have a 8.8, but wont adding a spacer-adapter setup creating a possible weak point? What about usind the drum brake setup from a bronco 8.8 and find axles that have the bigger bolt pattern, if they do exsist?
if you get the spacers from one of the reputable company's like Spidertrax you will be fine ( they use em' on hard-core rock crawlers...why not your Ranger )

as for using the drum setup from a FS Bronco....you would still have to have your axles drilled for the larger bolt pattern.....the cost of having a machine shop do that would prolly be close to what the spacers would cost....

l8r, John

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've been DD'ing mine for about 2 years. No problems at all.

Af for the rear I'm just using the spacer adapters. With a ranger 8.8 and the adapters it will put you within 1/2" of the front track width.

Can't redrill the stock axle flanges. there isn't enough material for the large 5.5 pattern.
Custom axles will be needed if you want to go that route. Then you may as well just swap to an explorer 8.8 and get some of the width back, to better match the front.

The D44 knuckle swap will not add more than 1/4" per side extra for width.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Can't redrill the stock axle flanges. there isn't enough material for the large 5.5 pattern.
This is not true.

You can redrill the stock flanges just fine, BUT you have to use thread-in studs (you cannot use standard press-in ones). The flange is 6-1/8" diameter, which leaves just enough room for your ½-20 studs.

Or just use the Spidertrax adapters. They will add 1" width to each side (the rear axle is already a bit narrowe than the front, so this shouldn't be an issue).

FWIW, I run 35x12.50R15s on my D35 with the stock outers. I've not had a single issue with it even after 45,000 miles on the axle now (about 21K of which was with 32x11.50s and 33x12.50s). It's all in how diligent you are when setting up the bearing preload and torquing the outer locknuts down real good.

Last edited:

fleming2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the answers people, I really apreciate the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals