• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Cottage cheese is delicious! And with a 40% alcohol content...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
:unsure:

i will have to get back to ya on that one.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Cottage cheese liquor farts could power all the worlds engines! No need for EVs!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
well......cottage cheese farts thrugh a pem cell? for electri catin...mobiltatin

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I hate to distract y'all from your thoughts of boobies and what you are dreaming of getting from them, but.....

I wouldn't encourage you to test drive one right now either because they don't exist yet so you'd be wasting time and looking like a crazy person. I agree that you won't know until you actually do it, but seeing as how the truck won't be here for 3-5 years that's kind of difficult. I think it's a reasonably fair comparison using the data we have available. The highest level Tesla truck will reportedly have a 500 mile range. Tesla has been pretty good about getting their quoted range so I feel ok using that number. I cut that in half for towing, which is about what Model X towing tests have shown. It's also pretty similar to the increase in fuel consumption in a modern ICE truck while towing. I was just trying to give you an "educated guess" for your hypothetical test since it can't actually happen for several more years. The difference isn't as tsark as many people might think. EVs and charging are more advanced than many people realize or will admit. They're not perfect by any means, but I think if we're going to judge them, we should do it as fairly and unbiased as we currently can.
Another consideration is that with an ICE, typically you can probably take the rated fuel economy, and expect to get 20% less. That's under IDEAL conditions. My 2010 Honda Fit was rated 50 on the highway (Real (Canadian) gallon is larger than the fake imperial one, and our tests are different), and 40 in the city. The best I got on the highway was about 42. The best I got in the city was 29.

Now, take that and translate it to an EV with 300 mile range (500km, for us Canadians). take 80% of that. You now get 400km of range, and that's NOT accounting for reduced range in extreme cold.

Remember earlier I said I was 230km from the nearest big city? Well, when you apply the same rules to an EV as apply to an ICE as the quote above does for towing, that EV with a 500km range will die 60km from home, if I go to the city, make ONE STOP, then leave for home. Meanwhile, my Fit would make it home easily, doing that same trip. My Taurus, were it in good shape, will run out of gas 30km from home, so I guess I'd better fill up before I come home.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I hate to distract y'all from your thoughts of boobies and what you are dreaming of getting from them, but.....

Another consideration is that with an ICE, typically you can probably take the rated fuel economy, and expect to get 20% less. That's under IDEAL conditions. My 2010 Honda Fit was rated 50 on the highway (Real (Canadian) gallon is larger than the fake imperial one, and our tests are different), and 40 in the city. The best I got on the highway was about 42. The best I got in the city was 29.

Now, take that and translate it to an EV with 300 mile range (500km, for us Canadians). take 80% of that. You now get 400km of range, and that's NOT accounting for reduced range in extreme cold.

Remember earlier I said I was 230km from the nearest big city? Well, when you apply the same rules to an EV as apply to an ICE as the quote above does for towing, that EV with a 500km range will die 60km from home, if I go to the city, make ONE STOP, then leave for home. Meanwhile, my Fit would make it home easily, doing that same trip. My Taurus, were it in good shape, will run out of gas 30km from home, so I guess I'd better fill up before I come home.

well my good man. thats just it isnt it?

what do you need?

what must you do?

the goals and objectives vary humorously amongst us. you got cbxer whom cant wear out an a4ld after 50 years...and a fuking clown like me that pays 3000 dollars for the most bad ass a4ld ever built to that point in time(1994)...drives right to silverlake...and melts it...literally welded shafts together in it 4 hours later....

of all the nay sayers here....and i dont mean the relative passing of legitimate points of concern....but just the straight up clueless asshats....

the comparators of one to another that cant even keep the simplest of machines alive or will not stray too far from home with a 30 year old truck.....have the brass to suggest this unknown is worse or whatever...and it is an unknown...

its shocking to me. the brutal ignorance.

my 14 year old son loves the tesla...hates the mustang......not because he knows who elon musk is.....not because its eco whatever.....but because he thinks its cool and if it can meet the reported specs it would be so worth 40 k over a tiny ass ranger. its the future...kids want it....its what it is.

i tried to explain it wasnt towing 14k more then 50 miles...but i dont actually know that yet.. making me an asshat too.

so to the point.

i have a simple machine.

its dumber and more reliable and more useable then any 83-11 ranger from the factory. it has way more range and capability.

if your savvy....and do the work....can get much better gce mpg.....like 30 mpg.

so i drive a machine that is 30 years old, and will run on an array of fuels....total captain cave pig machine. for the most part all trouble shooting is done visually and with a pair of pliers...

and probably none of these guys talking shit about the tesla truck would be able to fix a simple issue on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere on a 70's technology so simple a caveman can do it machine....just like the tesla.

that is my only personal transport at this time....

you would think i hate modern machines..

yet i cant wait for these electric vehicles.....mostly because i want to build a buggy with turntable steering....but i digress...

that realy is hysterical.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
well my good man. thats just it isnt it?

what do you need?

what must you do?

the goals and objectives vary humorously amongst us. you got cbxer whom cant wear out an a4ld after 50 years...and a fuking clown like me that pays 3000 dollars for the most bad ass a4ld ever built to that point in time(1994)...drives right to silverlake...and melts it...literally welded shafts together in it 4 hours later....

of all the nay sayers here....and i dont mean the relative passing of legitimate points of concern....but just the straight up clueless asshats....

the comparators of one to another that cant even keep the simplest of machines alive or will not stray too far from home with a 30 year old truck.....have the brass to suggest this unknown is worse or whatever...and it is an unknown...

its shocking to me. the brutal ignorance.

my 14 year old son loves the tesla...hates the mustang......not because he knows who elon musk is.....not because its eco whatever.....but because he thinks its cool and if it can meet the reported specs it would be so worth 40 k over a tiny ass ranger. its the future...kids want it....its what it is.

i tried to explain it wasnt towing 14k more then 50 miles...but i dont actually know that yet.. making me an asshat too.

so to the point.

i have a simple machine.

its dumber and more reliable and more useable then any 83-11 ranger from the factory. it has way more range and capability.

if your savvy....and do the work....can get much better gce mpg.....like 30 mpg.

so i drive a machine that is 30 years old, and will run on an array of fuels....total captain cave pig machine. for the most part all trouble shooting is done visually and with a pair of pliers...

and probably none of these guys talking shit about the tesla truck would be able to fix a simple issue on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere on a 70's technology so simple a caveman can do it machine....just like the tesla.

that is my only personal transport at this time....

you would think i hate modern machines..

yet i cant wait for these electric vehicles.....mostly because i want to build a buggy with turntable steering....but i digress...

that realy is hysterical.
How much have you had to drink?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to suggest he get a Model S with the 600 km range, so would have 40 km still in batteries when he arrived home :)

And I'm betting his ICE vehicle doesn't get same mileage at -40 either. What is issue with stopping at Petro Canada (they are putting in Superchargers on Hiway #1) for 15 minutes (100km) while you grab a double-double and box of Timbits? For that matter, if 1990RangerinSK plugged into one of the outlets ICE vehicles use for their block heaters he while was in Regina, he would have lots of range.

I understand Elon, needs to be evangelist - otherwise he gets nowhere. And I am firm believer that hybrid is the correct answer short term, but batteries will get there while I am still young enough to drive.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
lots.

just funny. i dont understand the dislike or hate....

i have a all mechanical truck because i like dumb for lack of downtime and reliability.....which many in this thread seem to think is better then electric....but dont do themselves.

often...i drive thousands of miles to go to work...24 hours straight is not unusual...not driving as a job...but to go to my job. reliability is a key need in that scenario.

that thing i drive... will run on the oil from an engine, transmission and shocks when vehicles are abandoned on the side of the road when there is no fuel.....

because if push comes to shove...i am getting where i am going.....even when there are no gas stations...

i have been in or running from storms and seen shitloads of idiots out of fuel. not fond memories

but i know these electric things are here....and i cant wait to play with them. the lack of objectivity is patently ridiculous.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
**** it.

Ill just buy a good wagon and hitch up the horse.

Bon voyage mf'ers.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
@rusty ol ranger no offense, but my 3.5L EcoBoost puts out the same power as those old 460's, and does it more efficiently. Some of the new 3.5's put out more.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@rusty ol ranger no offense, but my 3.5L EcoBoost puts out the same power as those old 460's, and does it more efficiently. Some of the new 3.5's put out more.
There's no replacement for displacement. ;-)

Or a T-shirt a friend used to wear. "I'd rather be blown than injected." This was, oh, around 1979. LOL!! Now I have my Lightning, which is both.

After sleeping on it, I remembered the correct saying on that T-shirt. Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown.

LMAO

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I tend to beat EPA fuel economy ratings. I consistently got 30-31mpg in my 01 Duratec/5spd Ranger. It's rated at 26mpg hwy and 23 combined with that powertrain.
My Fusion is rated at 38mpg gas/88mpge electric. I consistently drive roughly half my miles in electric mode, which should result in a real fuel economy in the low 60s but I still have a lifetime combined fuel economy of 86mpg.

If you're consistently getting 20% worse mileage than the ratings, the problem might be the nut behind the wheel, or an issue with the ratings being overly optimistic North of the Border (I haven't compared them to the US ratings).

In the interest of not repeating myself anymore, let me try and summarize my overall point in this thread one more time:
EVs aren't perfect for everybody, and probably never will be. But the fact is that for MOST people they'll work MOST of the time and save a lot of money and hassle in the process. They're also better for people and the environment which isn't a bad thing for anybody. Guess what, if you drive long distances all the time, they're probably not the best option right now. If you tow all the time, they're probably not the best option right now. If you have no access to a charger where you live, and can't install one, they're probably not the best option right now. This is no different than any other life choice. If you need to haul a family around, then a minivan is a better option than a Miata. If you're a single person that hates doing yardwork, it's probably not a good idea to buy a 5 bedroom house on 3 acres. If you can't afford to live the way you want in a certain location, go live where you can have a better life. Make good choices and your life gets less hard.

Don't just repeat incorrect things that you heard on the internet. Don't take other's words for granted just because they share the same viewpoint as you. And try not to bring your biases and baggage into the equation. Do your research, understand what your options are, and spend your money on the thing that will best fit your life, or enable you to live the life you want. You're responsible for your own happiness, and if an EV is or isn't going to do that, then make the appropriate choice for you. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for somebody else, and just because you have a reason (legitimate or not) for not buying an EV doesn't mean that everybody should follow suit.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Highway EPA mpg ratings and testing are done at 55 mph. The aerodynamics of vehicles is also optimized for around that speed. So, if you regularly drive on roads with higher speed limit than that, your mileage is going to be worse than what is advertised.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals