• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crank Shaft Woodruff Key! 1988 need help!

Louisiana88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m currently replacing my crankshaft pulley, ordered the new crankshaft pulley but not sure if it comes with a double pulley. My key on my crankshaft is warped and need to replace it but can’t find any info on if the 85-88 2.3L rangers had keys.
Any help would be much appreciated, not looking to have to pull the engine.
Thanks a ton! Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
There is a keyway ground into the crankshaft & the pulley. From the pic, vaguely, it appears your key has sheared, allowing the pulley to move on the crankshaft. The key is actually for alignment, aas the bolt torqued should keep the pulley in place on the shaft. Under-tprque, and it can move and shear the key.
Second serpentine may be a bolt on to the main, check & move as needed.
You will (I think) have to dig out the key remains from the crankshaft. Using a hammer and tiny punch or cold chisel to 'rock' it out of the groove. You may be able to punch down on one end and have the key 'rotate' out.
tom

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I meant to reply to this earlier, sorry about that...

I had a similar issue when I first did the turbo swap when the crank bolt was too long and the crank pulley wobbled about and broke the front part of the key off. There was still a chunk sticking out past the timing belt pulley so I just cranked the bolt tight after cutting it shorter...

If it were me I would probably just install the new pulley, those keys are in there especially with all the metal powder that is there. I'm 99% sure your problem was a loose crank bolt, so if assembled correctly all the way on (the key is full width next to the timing belt pulley from the looks of it) and the crank bolt is tight you should be good to go. I ran that broken key for 5 years until a rod let go...

Louisiana88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I meant to reply to this earlier, sorry about that...

I had a similar issue when I first did the turbo swap when the crank bolt was too long and the crank pulley wobbled about and broke the front part of the key off. There was still a chunk sticking out past the timing belt pulley so I just cranked the bolt tight after cutting it shorter...

If it were me I would probably just install the new pulley, those keys are in there especially with all the metal powder that is there. I'm 99% sure your problem was a loose crank bolt, so if assembled correctly all the way on (the key is full width next to the timing belt pulley from the looks of it) and the crank bolt is tight you should be good to go. I ran that broken key for 5 years until a rod let go...

Thanks for the advice! My buddy said the same thing, slap it on and roll with it! Thanks for such quick responses!

Louisiana88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
There is a keyway ground into the crankshaft & the pulley. From the pic, vaguely, it appears your key has sheared, allowing the pulley to move on the crankshaft. The key is actually for alignment, aas the bolt torqued should keep the pulley in place on the shaft. Under-tprque, and it can move and shear the key.
Second serpentine may be a bolt on to the main, check & move as needed.
You will (I think) have to dig out the key remains from the crankshaft. Using a hammer and tiny punch or cold chisel to 'rock' it out of the groove. You may be able to punch down on one end and have the key 'rotate' out.
tom
Thanks for the advice, that what I was going to do after checking on you tube videos! I got the new pet in but they sent the wrong part lol

Louisiana88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals