• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

craftsman tractor problem....

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a craftsman tractor model number 917.254620 and when it gets cold it wont turn over easy at all i had the starter and battery tested and everything came back good, i was told it was a compression release problem, but i would need to tear the whole motor down to do it, so i was thinking if there was a way to convert it to recoil start it has a 12 hp tecumseh in it, or change the whole motor over to a briggs and stratton but dont know where to get cross reference info? Any help would be great

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like it needs a shot of ether!:headbang:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
When was the last time you changed the oil? and what grade of oil are you using? Those motors use a splash oiling system so if the oil has gone thick it will be hard to turn when it's cold.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How cold is cold? Nothing will start easy if the temps. are low enough...

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i know what you're talking about. there is a solenoid that releases some compression for easy starting. find out where it is and test it.

also who tested it and where?

Last edited:

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know about Tecumseh at all, but it was a real common problem on Briggs & Stratton engines. The B&S had the compression release for starting built into the cam. When it fails, as apparently most of them do, the engine is so hard to turn over that the starter will only turn it over if jumped with good jumper cables from a running vehicle. The B&S repair is approximately $180 for parts and 4 to 6 hours of labor to repair. Not at all worth repairing. Now I have a JD LA120 mower that has a B&S 21HP twin. I'm really hoping they fixed that problem so this one doesn't do the same thing.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, not worth fixing. Craftsman mowers aren't high quality anyway. My grandpa bought one a while back when his old old older than me one finally gave out on him a few years ago.

In its first year it needed 3 trans-axles.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i've heard a lot of bad about craftsman. we've had ours brand new since 2000 and the only problem it has ever has was a cracked float (after i popped some wheelies, coincidence?). still starts everytime and runs excellent. we have towed a lot more than it was ever built for too the transaxle doesn't slip

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I own a 2005 Craftsman riding lawn with the B&S 18.5HP engine, 6-speed. Never have had any problems. I do yearly tune-ups, and change the oil every 25 hrs of service. It just got its 100 hrs service done last year. Only thing that went was the battery after 4 years. Still starts up great in 10*F weather and takes the beating of 90+*F heat for mowing 2 hrs at a time. I use a Fram 3614 oil filter and Royal Purple 10w-30 oil.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Craftsman mowers aren't high quality
ive had countless craftsman mowers, abused all of them severely, and am still convinced that they're a damn good product. and i work at a small engine shop so i see all the crap that can go wrong.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I was so confused when you said craftsman and tractor together, you meant lawn-tractor. I was going to pop in and help u out, lol.

Us crazy Farmers......

Frank

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I've not had one of those motors apart in quite a while but if memory serves correctly the compression release is just a little bump on the exhaust cam that just lifts the valve for a very short time before its normal opening time, making it possible to hand crank it at very low rpm. That being said if the valve clearance is excessive, due to wear etc. it will not de-compress at cranking speed.

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
i would put synthetic 10w30 in and shine a
heat lamp on it for a couple of hours.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found the problem it was a valve clearance issue, I got out a feeler gauge and adjusted valves and starts like a champ every time. But about 2 months later my father-in-law sold me his john deere lx176 with a snow blower, rear weights, and chains, so i sold the craftsman with plow and bagger for $500, but it starts up every time thanks for the info guys............

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals