• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Craftsman replacing Kobalt?

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don’t like what’s happened to the Craftsman stuff. I have vintage hand tools and a mechanics set of Craftsman I bought at an estate sale 5-6 years ago. Priceless stuff to me. The rest is a mix of what I like best. All my battery stuff is 20v Dewalt Max XR, some of my shop stuff is Dewalt. I’ve had a love hate with Harbor Freight for years. Some of their stuff is unbeatable for price/performance. I have a pipe bender, threader, parts washer (heavily modified in another thread) wheel dollies and some impact stuff from them. In my wood shop, Dewalt, Jet, Porter Cable, Delta. I have a 1957 Dewalt radial arm saw I got at the thrift store up the street for $20. Came with a metal box full of the original manual, bill of sale, vintage blades and a dado set. Looks almost new. My favorite is a 1953 Foley Belsaw 13” bed planer. Bought it for $10. Fixed the power cord, mounted a new set of carbide blades and fired it up. It’s got a 5hp 220v motor. Chews thru stuff my Dewalt 735 wimps out on.
F19535F0-3620-4CE4-B744-5D66F39F46A7.jpeg
90C9B282-1F02-49EF-93B0-C7D7835D3C03.jpeg

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since I have had pretty good luck with Pittsburg impact sockets and people were speaking highly of the Pro stuff I looked at them today when I was at HF.

Looked neat (maybe nitrided?) but they only had laser etching for the sizes. My cheapies are stamped which I very much prefer.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Husky indeed is Home Depot's house brand.

Werner is a private manufacturer primarily of ladders. They are sold at many retailers, not just Home Depot.
I think you're talking tools sir, and I'm only referring to ladders.
Do a search on Husky ladder Home depot and follow any Home Depot link, see what kind of ladders you find there. Then go into a store and look. All I found at either one were Werner

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you're talking tools sir, and I'm only referring to ladders.
Do a search on Husky ladder Home depot and follow any Home Depot link, see what kind of ladders you find there. Then go into a store and look. All I found at either one were Werner
I've been dealing with ladders for most of my working life (about 35 years) doing siding. Werner ladders is well known to make good ladders. I have no doubt that they will make ladders for husky and home depot too.
PS it could be that Werner was taken over by HD or Husky.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been dealing with ladders for most of my working life (about 35 years) doing siding. Werner ladders is well known to make good ladders. I have no doubt that they will make ladders for husky and home depot too.
PS it could be that Werner was taken over by HD or Husky.
I have no clue Always, but after seeing an 8ft Husky at an estate sale, knowing it from the countless times I had used them on commercial job-sites, and buying it, I began a search for it's current status, price, etc. and could find absolutely nothing current about an actual Husky.

I think around 95 I took a vacation and came home a week or two, picked up an aluminum folding ladder at a sale of some sort for I think it was $5, and left it here for my father. It was in two sections, and folded into three places, as a 6ft, then a very wide spot, and then out into a straight 12ft. It was obviously missing the bottom outrigger due to the notches in each leg bottom. I found an 800 number on one of the labels and from TN I called them to order another outrigger bar(simple straight aluminum bar that spanned the legs and extended out each side a foot or so to add stability)

Called them up and the guy was more than happy to send me a new bar, no charge. I even called him back and asked if he'd send it to my father in OK instead, as I'd left it there for him, he seemed just happy to send it to him.
Then I forgot about it till moving home in 2006 and found it still here, and still works just great, handy as hek.

I did some internet searches for the brand, and apparently they'd been under an enormous lawsuit over a lemon ladder at the time I had talked to them about the outrigger bar, and had long since vanished.

After acquiring the Husky I had to wonder if they had met the same fate, but as I pointed out in earlier posts, it seems they all do some shell game maneuvers after either getting stressed, or maybe stripped by their prospective corporations

Last edited:

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
I still have my 316 pc set I bought when I was 18. Almost 20 years now, and they still work great. Unfortunately I hear you have to mail in your broken tools to craftsman to get the warranty. No more in store. I may be wrong.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Do Sears even exist anymore? I use to bring broken tools to Sears all the time to get them replaced... I'd pick up some new pants, get a new pair of glasses, grab a few fishing lures, stock up on motor oil, and get a toilet seat while I was there. Man Sears was awesome.

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
Here in WA, they do not. But I think they still run their website and a few stores in other locations.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Do Sears even exist anymore? I use to bring broken tools to Sears all the time to get them replaced... I'd pick up some new pants, get a new pair of glasses, grab a few fishing lures, stock up on motor oil, and get a toilet seat while I was there. Man Sears was awesome.
There are a few stores around but they are becoming more rare than hen's teeth. I fully expect Kmart and Sears to fully fold in the next few years.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think Sear's lost it's edge with the purchase of Kmart, which from what I saw was one of the earlier purveyors of the shell game trick(or whatever it would be) where they changed products every 90 days or so in order to (from what I believed) avoid upholding warranties and such.
It always seemed like a short time after buying an item, if you went back there looking for accessories or parts, the item would be (in their store anyway) "obsolete"

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think Sear's lost it's edge with the purchase of Kmart, which from what I saw was one of the earlier purveyors of the shell game trick(or whatever it would be) where they changed products every 90 days or so in order to (from what I believed) avoid upholding warranties and such.
It always seemed like a short time after buying an item, if you went back there looking for accessories or parts, the item would be (in their store anyway) "obsolete"
This is why I started buying dewalt cordless stuff and refuse to buy anything else. Every other damn tool company comes out with a different battery style every year so when the batteries die you need to buy whole new tools. Dewalt has had the same battery for 20+ years. They may upgrade them as new tech comes out but they keep the same connection so you can put the new batteries on old tools.

I look at fancy cordless stuff and just shake my head because I know itll be in a dumpster in a few years even if the tool itself still works fine.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
WAS. Awesome

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
WAS. Awesome
Corporate frickin greed, and the hollowing out of the middle class since the mid-70’s. Union labor (and wages) built this country post-WW2. Once Reagan broke the ATC Union, the die was cast......Sears was the Amazon of the day. You could buy anything from a kit house to a tractor via mail order. Imagine if they had survived into the Internet era. They already had the model, just no vision. Once the corporate raiders descended, all the money went to their minions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals