• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cowl leak

odeek9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure that not only is this question in the wrong place but also that it's stupid. Oh well. There's a leak ending up on my floor board (beneath pedals) and originating from the cowl. I can't remove it & can't get inside of it to any degree. Here's the question: are the vents where the wipers are for air induction or what? I can't afford any type of shroud and am thinking of covering and sealing it in some way if that doesn't create a problem elsewhere which I'm afraid it will? Thoughts, please, as to a fix is concerned? Thanks!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The vents between the hood and windshield are where the truck sucks in outside air for your heater/defrost/A-C. If you open the hood there are two galvanized covers roughly in the center and to the drivers side on the firewall you can remove to clean out the cowl. You can pull the blower motor to get that side too.

Leaves go through the huge slots, accumulate in the bottom of the cowl, plug up the drains (on each end) and rot out the cowl.

It is a design flaw and when dry leaves get into the blower speed resister it can be a rather exciting design flaw.

Mine is in pretty good shape, I try to clean it out every spring.

odeek9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
That's what I thought they were for. I only saw the one panel in the center (eng. compartment) and I removed it but really couldn't do a lot as my hand couldn't reach much-it's a long chamber. I did think about removing the blower. Are there seams in there that I can caulk or mend in some way? If not, where would it leak? I poured some water in it today and it streamed! through a hole or crack or whatever (as you know visibility is a problem) just a bit to the driver's side of center.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Mine is clear to the drivers side almost under the fender.

It is going to depend on how far it is gone what you are going to have to fix. I would pull all three (including the airbox) and see what you have going on and go from there.

The drivers side and where the blower motor sucks out of the cowl and into the airbox are where the most stuff accumulates.

odeek9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok-thanks . I think I may end up covering it for years. I've already owned it for 30 years and plan on keeping it until I croak. This is a bit of a bummer

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is kinda like watching a dog get older, it sucks. Have had mine for 15.5 years.

I have a leak somewhere in the cab, I think/hope it is the gutters though. So it roosts in the garage as much as possible. Working towards that goal but not ready to paint it quite yet.

odeek9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You're right-watching a dog age, as my Beagle is doing now (11 1/2) is, difficult. I've always had a harder time when I lose my pet than I do with any humans.
I live in a rural setting and garages are a rarity but redwood trees are not. I'm going to have to give some thought to making a small, reusable, quick to put in place, cover. We've had a Hell of a lot of rain in No. Ca. this year and I've simply been using a tarp but it's messy and time consuming and I'm lazy. I'll just have to keep trying.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Carport maybe?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
There are a hundred threads on fixing this. A couple my me on my now gone 91. You need to do a search.

I will tell you that unless it is just your drains plugged up you are in for a fun time. I took me for ever to sort it all out. There are a number factory seams that were caulked and of course by now leaking. So if the water gets deep in there they leak.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm dealing with this on my 88. After I got the two ports opened up and got all the debris cleaned out of the cowl, I could see that it was mostly just the seam that was not sealed well anymore. Since everything in there was still pretty solid and it was just a seam that the sealant had dried up and disintegrated years ago to deal with, I took the hood off, climbed on top of the motor, and reached in with a wire brush and screwdriver to scrape what I could. Since I was tearing the truck down to replace the radiator support and some other things anyway, I took the drivers side fender off and cut a larger hole in for the drain and reached in that way as well (found a giant mouse nest plugging up that side too). Once it was cleaned as best as possible and dry, I got out a tube of Locktite PL-S30 roof sealant and re-sealed the seam. I used a popsicle stick taped to a screwdriver and one taped to a stick to reach the seam and smeared it on there good. Pretty sure the rest of the truck will rust away before that stuff gives up. A word of caution though, the stuff acts like tar when you put it on and it's very slow to cure, but once it's cured, it's there for good.

odeek9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm dealing with this on my 88. After I got the two ports opened up and got all the debris cleaned out of the cowl, I could see that it was mostly just the seam that was not sealed well anymore. Since everything in there was still pretty solid and it was just a seam that the sealant had dried up and disintegrated years ago to deal with, I took the hood off, climbed on top of the motor, and reached in with a wire brush and screwdriver to scrape what I could. Since I was tearing the truck down to replace the radiator support and some other things anyway, I took the drivers side fender off and cut a larger hole in for the drain and reached in that way as well (found a giant mouse nest plugging up that side too). Once it was cleaned as best as possible and dry, I got out a tube of Locktite PL-S30 roof sealant and re-sealed the seam. I used a popsicle stick taped to a screwdriver and one taped to a stick to reach the seam and smeared it on there good. Pretty sure the rest of the truck will rust away before that stuff gives up. A word of caution though, the stuff acts like tar when you put it on and it's very slow to cure, but once it's cured, it's there for good.
Old thread but Im still fiddling with it. Thanks for all of your replies!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals