• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Couple ?s before I replace pinion seal.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a rear pinion seal that’s been leaking for a while now and I have some free time and I need to fix this sucker. Ive been topping it off every 6 months or so and it never takes more than few ounces but lately its started slinging oil so it needs to get done. The vent tube was stopped up, im assuming this caused the leak. AFAIK, the bearings are fine so my intention is to just replace the seal. I just want to ask a few questions before I start unbolting stuff and get hung up on some small thing. I’d rather not have to make 6 trips to town or have to order something once i have it apart. It’s the little things that always hang ya up.

OK, the plan is mark the flanges, pinion, and nut ; replace seal and put it all back just like it was. Im not planning to replace the crush washer or nut.

1. How hard is the pinion nut to get off. Will a a 24” breaker bar break it loose. If I bought an impact now, it would be a $50 from HD. And those may not be worth a crap. (actually if it would do the job, I would buy one. I don’t know what’s cheap about cheap impacts). The nut is 1 1/16 right? Does it have to be a deepwell? I gotta buy one.
  2. Pinion flange holder. Sticking a punch, screwdriver , whatever through an unused hole would work I guess. For some reason I worry about cracking the housing, IDK why. Thought about 2-3 ft piece of 1/4” flatbar with 2 holes drilled in it. Again, I don’t know how tight the nut is.
  3. Do I need a puller to get the flange off or can it be tapped off with a small sledgehammer. “Tapped” being the key word.
I’m just trying to keep from buying $100 worth of stuff just to do the job. This is the Ranger in my sig btw.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
As for getting it back on correctly, I can't be much help there.

Getting it off is not bad at all as long as tires are on the ground or parking brake works. I used a 18" breaker bar on mine. I don't think you'll need a deepwell, but if you do; it's likely cheaper to buy a whole set of them at harbor freight than the 1 elsewhere.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Marking the nut won't do it. Once the driveshaft is off turn the pinion by had and feel the drag in both directions. When you tighten it back up you want to feel very slightly more drag. It's better to have it slightly too tight than slightly too loose, it needs preload. Mark the driveshaft position relative to the companion flange/pinion yoke and put it back in the same spot. Carefully inspect the seal surface on the flange for scoring, the seal will cut into the flange over time and you may be able to polish the score line enough to allow the new seal to do it's job.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Marking the nut won't do it. Once the driveshaft is off turn the pinion by had and feel the drag in both directions. When you tighten it back up you want to feel very slightly more drag. It's better to have it slightly too tight than slightly too loose, it needs preload. Mark the driveshaft position relative to the companion flange/pinion yoke and put it back in the same spot. Carefully inspect the seal surface on the flange for scoring, the seal will cut into the flange over time and you may be able to polish the score line enough to allow the new seal to do it's job.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can get a speedy sleeve locally if i need it. But for $48, hope I don’t need it. I know someone who may have an in/lb torque wrench i can borrow to check drag before and after.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
You'll want a beam type torque wrench to measure the rotating preload, not the breakaway torque. After all these years I just judge it by feel but you're wise to measure it if it's your first one.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can you even rotate the flange far enough to get a reading. I mean, not a lot of room under there. Can it be done without takinG the carrier out. Think I’ve read your supposed to do that.
Ok, i have a friend with a 1/2” impact i can borrow, so i don’t need a flange holder i guess. So I got that going for me.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a cheap tool for removing the big nut

you can polish the seal area on the yolk with a wide shoe lace.
wrap it around then hold it tight while running back 'n forth.
use any very fine abrasive, polishing/rubbing compound, powdered cleanser
2000 grit sand paper, crocus cloth etc.
if you use the 2000 sand paper follow that with something else to polish it, the paper will leave microscopic scratches.

CLEAN THOUROUGHLY AFTER POLISHING! you don't want any left over abrasive working into the gears & bearings.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/tool-for-removing-yolks-flanges.178758/

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, thanks for the idea. May wind up using that.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The way you are "Supposed to" set the preload on the pinion nut is to measure the Torque to turn of the pinion by itself, nothing else. If I remember correct, it should be a around 19 in/ilbs with a used crush washer.

I bet if you measured the Torque to turn before you pulled it of, then set it the same you would be good to go.

Do not over tighten the pinion nut, this can mess up the crush washer and cause premature bearing failure.

I tried using a HF punch to hold the Pinion flange while tightening the nut, broke the punch. You may need a lot of torque to set the preload on that crush washer.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The way you are "Supposed to" set the preload on the pinion nut is to measure the Torque to turn of the pinion by itself, nothing else. If I remember correct, it should be a around 19 in/ilbs with a used crush washer.

I bet if you measured the Torque to turn before you pulled it of, then set it the same you would be good to go.

Do not over tighten the pinion nut, this can mess up the crush washer and cause premature bearing failure.

I tried using a HF punch to hold the Pinion flange while tightening the nut, broke the punch. You may need a lot of torque to set t
Thats the plan, check preload before and set it the same after.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
You can't bend the axle tubes by putting jack stands under them.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can't bend the axle tubes by putting jack stands under them.
I hope you’re right. I tightened the nut back on the flange and whatever was bumping on the right side stopped. Left side still hard to turn like it’s rubbing against the brake drums. When I said tapped on the flange, I purposely didnt hit it very hard. Don’t know if that messed up the pinion or not.
Anyway I took pinion nut back off and used puller to get flange off. (first time I used the puller there wasn’t enough air to impact gun i guess).

Last edited:

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Flange may need a sleeve, im not sure. But i am done for the day. Started trying to get seal out and the wind was blowing dripping oil in my face, so I’m done. Bout to be beer and bbq pork time. Too beautiful outside to be under a truck cussin.
I would like to ask tho, why is the left tire hard to spin, caused by me hitting the pinion flange?. 8D72809A-FDC9-4249-AA1A-7DEAFE1DD938.jpeg
8D72809A-FDC9-4249-AA1A-7DEAFE1DD938.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals