• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Couple Airbag Questions

JohnW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm guessing the airbag from a 98 should be identical to the one in a 99, right? How would I go about removing one from a parts truck I found without setting it off, then installing it in my truck? I know I have to disconnect the battery and get the computer reset. Do I reset the computer before starting the truck, after installing it? Or can it be done later on?

Is it a one-time sensor?

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The airbags will exchange if the steering wheel is the same.

You do know that airbags are fired by explosive, don't you? You do? Good. Keeping that in mind:
  1. Make sure (a) you are not statically charged and (b) you are electrically grounded.
  2. Disconnect the battery.
  3. DO NOT sit in the drivers seat or in front of the steering wheel. If the airbag fires for any reason, it will hurt you and/or break limbs.
  4. On the back of the steering wheel center arms, there are two plastic plugs you need to remove.
  5. Under the plugs, there are two bolts to remove.
  6. Carefully pull the airbag out of the center of the steering wheel.
  7. Unplug it.
  8. Reverse to install

Unless you have set off the airbag on the receiving truck, you do not have to reset the computer. If you have set it off, you need a new crash sensor and a computer reset prior to running the truck.

Last edited:

JohnW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You do know that airbags are fired by explosive, don't you? You do? Good.
Yep.

Unless you have set off the airbag on the receiving truck, you do not have to reset the computer. If you have set it off, you need a new crash sensor and a computer reset prior to running the truck.
It has been set off. So the sensor is a single use one, I'll have to get that off of the truck I found on craigslist. Do I have to have the computer reset at a garage or is it something I can do myself?

JohnW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where's the sensor located, and how do I go about getting the computer reset? Can I have it done at a dealer or a garage, or can I get an OBD II diagnostic tool and do it myself?

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pick up the airbag computer also. Yes, it can be reset by a dealer or shop, but for the most part they should be treated as a one-time use item. Most of the time when the airbags are set off, the repair shops go ahead and replace them.

Your truck has two crash sensors and are located on the radiator support, they look like small boxes. Get them also.

JohnW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw a photo of one with crash sensors on the radiator support, there aren't any there unless they're behind it. I had the front of the truck apart the other day. I heard they were moved elsewhere in the 99?

And where is the airbag computer located? Also, does that have anything to do with the horn having gone on in the accident? It went on for a minute then shut off and stopped working. I bumped the wire leading to the horn and it went on again until I disconnected it.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your 99 has the crash sensors built into the module. It's below the center of the dash, on top of the transmission tunnel. If you're having trouble with the horn it's probably beacuse the clockspring/sliding contact is smoked. It usually melts the plug for the airbag when it goes off and needs to be replaced anyway.

JohnW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Took out the cupholder/console and found it. Thanks. I'll pick that up this week. I'm guessing I replace that and it's safe to put the airbag in, plus my horn will work again? I'm also replacing the left side button in the steering wheel as it's broken in the middle.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check the plug that attaches to the airbag. It's probably melted from the charge in the airbag going off. That wiring assembly is referred to as a clockspring and will probably need to be replaced. Your horn and cruise control run through it too.

JohnW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the plug that attaches to the airbag. It's probably melted from the charge in the airbag going off. That wiring assembly is referred to as a clockspring and will probably need to be replaced. Your horn and cruise control run through it too.
Nothing in the steering wheel is melted, I already removed the airbag unit. There's no cruise control either.

JohnW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just discovered there is a pretensioner on the seatbelts. Will only the plugged in seatbelt go off in an accident, or both? And is there anything I need to swap aside from that, the airbag computer, and the airbag to bring it back to original?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals