• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling fan running and upper rad hose firm at start-up

deeman

Reaction score
Make / Model
2008 Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I previously had an issue with the cooling fan spooling / powering up at all times - sounded like a Mac Truck or that the truck was trying to lift off the ground, lol. The new fan clutch seems to help with this issue but the mechanic tested the engine after replacing the fan clutch and noticed that when the engine is started (cold) the upper rad hose is firm, indicating the thermostat is open and the cooling fan does run a high speeds. I do think the fan clutch is fixed because the fan will quiet down on occasion.

He said the coolant temp sensor is likely bad. I have no issue replacing this on my own but want to get your feedback on the cause of the thermostat being open on a cold engine and the loud fan noise.

Some observations based on what I learned with a bad coolant temp sensor:
1. I don't have black smoke coming out
2. starting is pretty normal and not difficult to start
3. There is NO check engine light on - I do have a bluetooth scanner module and Torgue software. I will run a scan to see if anything comes back.
4. The engine does not overheat and the temps remain very consistent - FWIW the coolant temp sensor is right in the middle of the gauge and gets to temp in 10 mins in 80 degree weather and just stays there
5. The cooling fan will sometimes go full speed and other times will run as normal
6. I did confirm that as soon as the engine is turn on the upper rad hose get's firm - the coolant levels are fine - I have not tested the coolant to see how effective / fresh it is.
7. The engine does have a slight rough idle - I do plan to clean the MAS. I don't smell a strong / rich gas smell

I see I can buy a new sensor for $30 so I have no issue doing this, but wanted to get feedback from this group.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals