• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooler location

lunkerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The A4LD had a fatal blowout back in Feb. this year and I had it rebuilt by a very good shop. He says he made sure he put the latest updated parts in it. I occasionally pull a boat or tent trailer with a 600 lb. quad in the back and I'm now turning 30" mud tires. The stock tires were P215. Guess what, I checked the speedo to my GPS and it's dead on now.
My questions are- should I add a after market trans cooler? There's no room for one between the fan and radiator. In front there's the a/c condensor on one side which is also the side the trans line go into the radiator. Should I put a cooler in front on the other side? Mount it in front of the a/c condensor?
My ranger sits a lot in front of the house because I drive a long haul truck, but when I get home every couple weeks, I put it hard to work pulling some weight up some decent grades to go have fun.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

lunkerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got around to looking for the size of cooler I want at the parts store and noticed in the kit was a flared tube that connects to the radiator and you put one of the hoses on to run to the cooler. My problem with that tube is its too long and by the time I put the hose on, it will not have clearance from the a/c compressor pulley. The tube is about 3 in. long and bending it to any degree would most likely distort it too much for a good seal and probably be difficult to bend anyway. I went to bulkparts website and saw male/female hose barb fittings, but I'm not sure what size the tube is. It looks like it could be 5/16 or 3/8 tube. If I can get a 90deg. fitting, that would be even better because then that would be one less bend in the hose to worry about.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are a ton of different configurations of coolers out there, you might have to look at an aftermarket place like Summit.

My coolers (both stock and Carquest Hayden ones) used 3/8" hose. I did use 90 degree elbows in places to make turns.

lunkerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
So is it right to assume the top line coming out of the radiator is the return line?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So is it right to assume the top line coming out of the radiator is the return line?
Normally it is the bottom line. Oil gets pumped up to the top and then uses gravity to aid in the flow back to the transmission.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You sure you don't have a secondary cooler already?

My 91 has the cooler built into the rad and an aux cooler from the factory.

lunkerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure I don't have a secondary cooler already. The a/c condensor is all that's in front of the radiator. Both tranny lines go directly into the radiator.

lunkerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Sasquatch. You are right. My brother has had my ranger for the last couple weeks and after what you said about a factory external cooler, I had him look closer and what I thought was the a/c condensor is a factory cooler. Thanks for the info.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Thought so!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals