• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant leak

b-rad

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, i have a few questions regarding my cooling system. Starting last week, I have been smelling anti-freeze in the cab. It starts after about 15min of driving, pretty much without fail. It appears to be coming through the vents, as when i get out i dont smell it outside or under the hood. Also, i can cycle back and forth between the heater and a/c and it goes away unless i leave the heater on.

Anything i should be looking for? Any pointers on where to begin fixing this would be great! I dont have the $ to take it to a shop, and id like to learn by fixing it myself(hence why im on this site!).

Thanks so much guys!
Brandon

philS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heater Core

b-rad

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had thought about that, but again, i dont know the ins and outs of trucks yet. So should i be looking to replace the heater core? Or are there repairs i can do first? What about hoses, etc?

Thanks so much!
Brandon

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I sounds like a heater core going out. What year is the truck?

b-rad

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, im sure thats it. My truck is a 98 4x4 3.0L(duh..).

Its pouring underneath pretty good now. I found where it comes from, and its a little tube or spout on the passenger firewall, pouring into the eng. compartment. I assume its an expansion port in the heater core?? I just found the replacement guide in the TRS tech library, so now i've just gotta get a replacement. Any suggestions on OE vs AfterMkt?

b-rad

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, well its for sure the heater core, its started leaking in the cab too. I got a new one at Autozone, hoping to do it on my lunch break today, as the tech section here made it seem so easy! However, tearing into it and looking through the Haynes, it appears i have to remove the whole dash board? Is this correct? Or is there an easier way to do this?

Please feel free to suggest or correct anything im doing. I need this fixed asap, as its my DD..

Thanks!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals