Coleman Liquid Fuel

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
I guess I got bit by the Coleman bug too - I bought four lanterns last weekend for a total of $13. I got two 220H's, a 220F, and an Ash Flash single mantle.

Got both the 220H's working well, the F just does not run like it should and I suspect that it was filled with unleaded at some point and the gas knob assembly is full of crud. I got it to burn but it's very dim and seems like it doesn't have enough pressure in the tank - my parts swapping has not made it work yet so maybe it'll just be a wall hanger.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 57CD9601BD5AB4 Expires: July 1, 2019

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" Superlift
Tire Size
33"
My credo
Good enough
The old Coleman lantern I have, I bought it just because it was meant to burn either white fuel OR unleaded. I've used it with unleaded multiple times. Works great.

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
I think you can use unleaded with most or all of them... it just goes bad and gums up everything. White gas doesn't seem to ever go bad.

White gas sure does have "that smell". I left one burning for a couple hours in the shop on Sunday and it brought back a lot of memories of my parents using them in the house.

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" Superlift
Tire Size
33"
My credo
Good enough
It depends on the model of lantern. My buddy has a couple Coleman lanterns and they say on them specifically "DO NOT USE GASOLINE"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess I got bit by the Coleman bug too - I bought four lanterns last weekend for a total of $13. I got two 220H's, a 220F, and an Ash Flash single mantle.

Got both the 220H's working well, the F just does not run like it should and I suspect that it was filled with unleaded at some point and the gas knob assembly is full of crud. I got it to burn but it's very dim and seems like it doesn't have enough pressure in the tank - my parts swapping has not made it work yet so maybe it'll just be a wall hanger.
Cool, any pics?

My "new" one, the F been giving me fits. I got it working really good the first time, it was brighter than my H but is hard to get going. I have to heat the generator and sometimes it still won't go. Even with a new generator it has fuel supply problems. I have it tore down to the part you have to grind and bend a wrench, I think the fuel/air tube is gummed up. The tank was dry and I guess when white gas evaporates it can gum stuff up. I got busy working outside and haven't got back to it.

The old Coleman lantern I have, I bought it just because it was meant to burn either white fuel OR unleaded. I've used it with unleaded multiple times. Works great.
They make a dual fuel version, I think it is all you can get now. It is harder on the generator but lasts longer than a white gas model running pump gas.

I think you can use unleaded with most or all of them... it just goes bad and gums up everything. White gas doesn't seem to ever go bad.

White gas sure does have "that smell". I left one burning for a couple hours in the shop on Sunday and it brought back a lot of memories of my parents using them in the house.
Not really supposed to unless it is a dual fuel, the additives mess up the generator.

When they originally came out white gas was gas, what model T's and that ran on. Then they went to leaded which was a no-no in a lantern and then to unleaded with a ton of additives which is a lot less than ideal but better than leaded.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Interesting, good to know. I use them so infrequently that I will probably never use unleaded anyway... I'm still using the gallon of Coleman fuel I bought quite a few years ago.

I meant to take some pics last night but got distracted.

Not sure what to do about my F. I've got the burner assembly and generator removed but I cannot get the cleaner assembly thing off of the valve below it. I want to tear the whole thing down and give it a good cleaning but it's seized together well enough that I'm afraid I'm going to destroy it if I go any further.

Shran

Junk Collector
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Here's my little family... the H's are from the 70's and the F is a 63 IIRC.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found this stuff in my garage that goes with my first lantern, the H.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Love the old coleman stuff. I have an old red one that id like to fix. I grew up night fishing with Coleman lanterns, nothing like the smell of coleman fuel on lake & bugs cooking on the glass.
I looked on ebay at older Coleman stuff, & man is that stuff getting expensive! Esp anything old. But, i did find one guy selling some gallons of camp fuel for $10 each. But it's local pick up only, in Nj.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ebay stuff is pretty bad, supposedly you can still get it pretty cheap in thrift shops and whatnot but I haven't had much luck so far.

200A's (the red ones) are kind of the gold standard for Coleman lanterns, I would like to get one. They made the things forever, any idea how old yours is?

I got a special wrench the other day to tear down my 220F, I am pretty sure it has a partially blocked fuel tube. I can get decent fuel flow for awhile but it fizzles out. I think the lantern draws fuel faster than the fue can get thru the blockage so it goes out, then as it sits more fuel can get back in the fuel tube.

EDIT: Dad found his from when were kids, it is a J, the next model after my newest one. A little worse for wear but has the snap on plastic storage container on the bottom. Overall it doesn't look like it is in too terrible shape but not as nice as my two (cosmetically anyway)

Last edited: