• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold air intake?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Or flip the breather cap! Man those were the days LOL
With my set-up, I can do that but dont know if it will benefit me due to me using a TBI. As for my dads ya we did that once, hes still running a carb, for now!!!!

Lil_Lightning

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
dude you have no idea how encouraging it is to hear of someone on this site bring forth helpful info to a question on aftermarket air filters without bashing the dude who asked the question. i didn't ask the original question but i am gonna say thanks anyway.:icon_cheers:
also i heard something about a new filter design volant was coming up with called the powercore filter, i don't know much about it but i heard somewhere the are more efficient at collecting dirt and dust and what not. plus they are not oiled and made on a different material than tradition aftermarket filters like k&n, which is a great thing if your worried about the oil getting to the mass air flow sensor. but if you keep the mass air flow clean your good. and thanks i don't see the point of bashing. to each is own am i right.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well no!

also i heard something about a new filter design volant was coming up with called the powercore filter, i don't know much about it but i heard somewhere the are more efficient at collecting dirt and dust and what not. plus they are not oiled and made on a different material than tradition aftermarket filters like k&n, which is a great thing if your worried about the oil getting to the mass air flow sensor. but if you keep the mass air flow clean your good. and thanks i don't see the point of bashing. to each is own am i right.
to each is own am i right.

Well NO! The original question was:

Do these cheapo cold air intakes that I'm looking at on Ebay make any difference in mpg, performance, etc, and are they safe? Im looking at the K&N ones for about 320, but these chinese ones are about 30 bucks. Im sure you get what you pay for, but I can't shell out for the kn one.

With that in mind, and also with the type of forum this is, we should assume the questioner is in need of advice from more knowlegable peers. In his quest for an understanding of "cold air intakes" he should get all the information that could pertain to his question.

But to answer your unasked question about filters.. ANY new type filter won't help airflow ANY at all! Because the factory filters do NOT restrict air flow! Any advertising to the contrary is a lie!

Always remember NEW doesn't mean BETTER! NEW is simply a way to get different advertising out and perhaps sell more of their doodads!

Big JIm :wub::hottubfun:

Lil_Lightning

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
as always it depends on the application. sure a on a stock motor in does nothing except make intake noise and stuck hot air in most cases( fender mounted ones and the volant one do not suck hot engine compartment air) but it depends on the application its going into. its a good start for future mods and i said nothing about increased airflow with a cold air intake or changing or filter. i simply said i heard somewhere they are more efficient that tradition aftermarket filters. i never said they were better i said more efficient. but thats just what i heard and it was quite a while ago so i don't think it even exists anyway.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Bear in mind the "flat" filter used on EFI gen1 & Gen2 was the SAME filter element
that was used on early 5.0HO's.

And those engines made 225hp through that filter....

Now what exactly is a 2/9/3.0/4.0 going to do that will require it topull more air through the filter.

The arguement that "a bigger tube flows better" ASSumes that the factory tube isn't "adequate" to begin with... when in reality for 90% of your engine's range
a 4" tube simply wouldn't do anything, and even a 3" tube is overkill

the Chinese intakes are just plain junk.

The expensive K&N tube kits sure do put money in the pockets of
K&N's owners, money taken out of YOUR pockets....

as for the "Not bashing the idea"

Sorry, my job isn't to tell you what you want to hear.

IF you want someone to tell you what you want to hear,
might I suggest you attend liberal political rallies?

In other words: Get screwed.

Telling you what you want to hear isn't our job.

Telling the truth is.

AD

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bear in mind the "flat" filter used on EFI gen1 & Gen2 was the SAME filter element
that was used on early 5.0HO's.

And those engines made 225hp through that filter....

Now what exactly is a 2/9/3.0/4.0 going to do that will require it topull more air through the filter.

The arguement that "a bigger tube flows better" ASSumes that the factory tube isn't "adequate" to begin with... when in reality for 90% of your engine's range
a 4" tube simply wouldn't do anything, and even a 3" tube is overkill

the Chinese intakes are just plain junk.

The expensive K&N tube kits sure do put money in the pockets of
K&N's owners, money taken out of YOUR pockets....

as for the "Not bashing the idea"

Sorry, my job isn't to tell you what you want to hear.

IF you want someone to tell you what you want to hear,
might I suggest you attend liberal political rallies?

In other words: Get screwed.

Telling you what you want to hear isn't our job.

Telling the truth is.

AD

+1

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals