• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coil over sizes

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So, I have this idea (it is more of a plan) to put a D44 TTB, and D44/ 9" out of either a FS Bronco, or an f-150, into my '93 Ranger (I've researched the swap, and what goes into it).

When I do this, I would really liek to run coil overs, rather than standard coils. I found a company (F-O-A Coil Overs) that I have heard really good things about, and I plan to buy from then. They have really good prices, and their stuff is made here in the USA!!

I added up the costs (shocks, coils and all the parts, everything to do the front end) from F-O-A, and here are the numbers:
2.0x10” coil over $590
2.0x10” coil over w/ res $630
2.5x10” coil over $720
2.5x10” coil over w/ res $770

2.0x12” coil over $590
2.0x12” coil over w/ res $630
2.5x12” coil over $730
2.5x12” coil over w/ res $780

2.0x14” coil over $600
2.0x14” coil over w/ res $650
2.5x14” coil over $740
2.5x 14”coil over w/ res $790

I am pretty sure I'm going to go with the reservoir shocks, because it is $50 more, and I think the benefits will be worth it. And, I think either 10-12" of shock travel will be enough. The suspension is only going to have ~3" of lift or so. about what it has now, I would assume.

And, the question:
They have their line of 2.0" coil overs, and their line of 2.5" coil overs. Since I'm on a budget, do you guys think that the 2.0" coil overs would be strong enough, or do I HAVE to go with the 2.5" coil overs? I can save $150 by going with a 2.0" setup as opposed to a 2.5" one. The Ranger is daily driven, so really, street ride is preferable over offroad ride, even though it sees a lot of trail use!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2.0's will be fine. the size of the shock 2.0, and 2.5 has less to do with strength and more to do with cooling and dampening I think. I have a set of 2.0 Fox's for my truck. Everyone one I talked to said If I needed the extra cooling (mainly prerunner/desert type trucks) then a 2.5 would be better. But its not needed.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Cool!! thanks. That definitely makes the swap much more justifiable!
If I'm not mistaken, the reservoir is to help with cooling too, I think

EDIT: That will also leave more money for a locker!!

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I'll just add to this thread.

I'd like some opinions about spring rates.
The Ranger is a 4.0L, 4wd, ext. cab, with a tube bumper on the front, and a 10K lb winch.

So, since I will be doing dual rate coils on these coild overs (2 coils for those of you that don't know), what would be a good spring rates?
I know 500 lbs/in, is factory. I want this truck to "flex like a motherf*****, and cruise like a caddy", so to speak. I drive the truck 35miles a day on the street, and wheel it most weekends on trials (NOT mud). I am thinking that a 350# main coil, with a 250# tender coil will be about right. I think with the right valving, and spring rates, I can get a good soft ride, with a lot of flex, and maintain stability on both the street, and on the trail.

Does anybody have any opinions on those spring rates? Would it be too soft, or too stiff?

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
the res, is mostly used to keep the overall shock body shorter,and still have a home for the IFP and gas charge.

if your just going to be creeping on trials, a 2.0 shock will be just fine.but I would get it with the res.

I would build the beams and radius arms and mount them on the truck, before getting the shocks so you can meassure the lenths of the shocks and the springs you will want/need.

I'll bite my tounge on the F***ing Obama Absorbers.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the res, is mostly used to keep the overall shock body shorter,and still have a home for the IFP and gas charge.

if your just going to be creeping on trials, a 2.0 shock will be just fine.but I would get it with the res.

I would build the beams and radius arms and mount them on the truck, before getting the shocks so you can meassure the lenths of the shocks and the springs you will want/need.

I'll bite my tounge on the F***ing Obama Absorbers.
Why, Chris makes a great product. Alot of guys are running them, alot of those guys racing with them. I was going to buy a set but i stumbled upon a set of FOX 2.0's for half price.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard good things about the F-O-A shocks.

I would mount everything up, then do the numbers, but unfortunately, the Ranger is my daily driver, and there is shipping involved with ordering the coil overs...

We'll see. I went out and measured some stuff up, and 4" of track width is more than I thought... And the coil overs are going to be tight. I measured up the coil overs a while ago, but I only measured suspension/ shock travel, not how well they would actually fit. We'll see what happens.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard good things about the F-O-A shocks.

I would mount everything up, then do the numbers, but unfortunately, the Ranger is my daily driver, and there is shipping involved with ordering the coil overs...

We'll see. I went out and measured some stuff up, and 4" of track width is more than I thought... And the coil overs are going to be tight. I measured up the coil overs a while ago, but I only measured suspension/ shock travel, not how well they would actually fit. We'll see what happens.
2.0's will offer more clearance since the spring OD is smaller then on a 2.5 shock

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
from what i was told by my buddy(rebuilding shocks is his forte), FOA is the last company to go with.

he pointed me towards FOX and Sway-A-Way. fox because of the parts availability, prices and quality. Sway-A-Way for the same reasons. i had some bilsteins 9100s and got rid of them for the SAWs. parts took way to long to arrive even though i lived 1 mile from the Bilstein headquarters and the prices on parts are higher. King shocks are good but i was informed about the aluminum bodies expanding under severe conditions, causing the gas and hyd fluid to mix making the shock go limp.

just my 2 cents

bobsleder251

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i dont wanna thread jack but i got quick question about coil-overs:
would it be possible to run coil-overs on a 2wd xlt with coil buckets? i was thinking get rid of the shock and coil and throw in a coilover, using the eyelet to stud conversion kits they have for jeeps? would a coil over fit in the coil bucket?
sorry again to thread jack but i didnt want to start a new thread for a small question

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think that would work. I was looking at that today, and the coil over, I don't think, would fit through the hole in the bucket, if that is what you are talking about.
I think your best bet (and what I was going to do) is make/ buy a shock/ coil over hoop to attach to the frame. Then you can get a longer coil over as well.

I was going with the F-O-A's, becuase yes the others may be better quality, but they also cost a bit more, and I am on a budget... a tight one. It is not like I will be racing the truck though the desert or anything. It is seeing 4wd trails, and street use, and that is it.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
from what i was told by my buddy(rebuilding shocks is his forte), FOA is the last company to go with.

he pointed me towards FOX and Sway-A-Way. fox because of the parts availability, prices and quality. Sway-A-Way for the same reasons. i had some bilsteins 9100s and got rid of them for the SAWs. parts took way to long to arrive even though i lived 1 mile from the Bilstein headquarters and the prices on parts are higher. King shocks are good but i was informed about the aluminum bodies expanding under severe conditions, causing the gas and hyd fluid to mix making the shock go limp.

just my 2 cents
Thats what everyone said until they handled and used FOA personally. Everyone bashed FOA cause "there was no way to make a good shock that inexpensive". Well lots or rigs are running them and I havent heard of anything as far as problems with them. Not to mention Chris has great customer service.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I know a good 15-20 people running different coilover setups and they've all gone with Sway-a-Ways or FOA's. They've had great results and have nothing bad to say about either.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
Thats what everyone said until they handled and used FOA personally. Everyone bashed FOA cause "there was no way to make a good shock that inexpensive". Well lots or rigs are running them and I havent heard of anything as far as problems with them. Not to mention Chris has great customer service.
accordding to my friend (part of his daily routine is rebuilding shocks), the main concern with the FOA coilovers is the threads. the strait threads tend to strip easier than fine thread bodies. well more the pre load ring rather than the bodies. he does this for a living. works on every brand of rebuildable shock in san diego, ca, home of Fox Racing and Bilstein. he sees alot of repair orders dailyand is not just my buddy, but rather a very credible source.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
accordding to my friend (part of his daily routine is rebuilding shocks), the main concern with the FOA coilovers is the threads. the strait threads tend to strip easier than fine thread bodies. well more the pre load ring rather than the bodies. he does this for a living. works on every brand of rebuildable shock in san diego, ca, home of Fox Racing and Bilstein. he sees alot of repair orders dailyand is not just my buddy, but rather a very credible source.
Straight threads? FOA's use very coarse threads, which are less prone to stripping then fine threads. Plus with the coarse thread adjusting them is alot easier. With the FOA's get the billet ends and upgraded seals. cheaper then any of the "big" names and a great product. Check out the King of Hammers race. Alot of the field was running FOA's only breakage was a shock shaft due to the rig breaking down and the other competitors having to crawl over the downed rig as it blocked the race path. Im sure your buddy is good at what he does but he sounds like most other guys who short change FOA due to them not being a "big" name brand.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals