• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coil bucket question

dan40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I have a 1992 Ford Ranger and the passenger side coil bucket rotted out and cracked, I am planning on replacing it next weekend, I'm looking to order grade 8 bolts and nuts to replace the rivets that hold the bucket to the frame. I did some research and it seems that the popular thing to do Is to drill holes out to fit 1 and 1/2 inch bolts. In my case it might be a bad idea to do this, my question is; would anyone know what size bolt would fit in the stock fittings on the coil bucket, if I didn't drill? It looks like there are 5 rivets going into the frame which are all the same size.
Thanks for your help
Dan

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where did you see where someone drill each rivet out to 1 1/2. and i thing the hole is 3/8 or 1/2

dan40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
I'm sorry I ment 1/2 inch

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I have a 1992 Ford Ranger and the passenger side coil bucket rotted out and cracked
Not to jack your thread, but can I ask where you sourced a replacement coil bucket?

My 95 2wd needs a new driver side mount real soon (though for some reason the passenger side bucket is very rust free by comparison). I'd like to get a new part (Ford oem, dorman or similar), though I'd settle for a JY pull if it came from a salt free region. I've also heard the 83-92 buckets differ from the 93-97 ones. Anyone know for sure?

Here's a ebay listing for 83-92,

http://bit.ly/r1X42u

If this will fit my truck, I'm buying one as these things are a PITA to source.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Common is to drill to 1/2", if you wanna just knock out rivets and not worry about opening up holes go 7/16" and they'll kind of thread themselves through, bit of a snug fit but it works.

dan40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Common is to drill to 1/2", if you wanna just knock out rivets and not worry about opening up holes go 7/16" and they'll kind of thread themselves through, bit of a snug fit but it works.
sounds good , thanks for your help

dan40

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Not to jack your thread, but can I ask where you sourced a replacement coil bucket?

My 95 2wd needs a new driver side mount real soon (though for some reason the passenger side bucket is very rust free by comparison). I'd like to get a new part (Ford oem, dorman or similar), though I'd settle for a JY pull if it came from a salt free region. I've also heard the 83-92 buckets differ from the 93-97 ones. Anyone know for sure?

Here's a ebay listing for 83-92,

http://bit.ly/r1X42u

If this will fit my truck, I'm buying one as these things are a PITA to source.
I called my local ford dealer they ordered the part and had it in the next day, it was about 105 with tax, I would give them a call they should be able to find something that will work, The part number is: E3TZ 5A306 B, although that number is for the passenger side and for a 92, but it will give them an idea of what you are looking for. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals