• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch slipping?

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
My 93 ranger’s clutch appears to be slipping however I cannot find a reason why. Initially I thought there may be oil leaking on the clutch. After pulling the clutch out I found nothing, everything looks good. could it be a weak pressure plate?The clutch setup was replaced 6 months ago. The transmission shifts fine through all the gears, good clutch pedal.driving around town I have no problems, after driving for awhile on the interstate i begins to slip first in fifth gear then Throughout the gear range the longer it is driven and while going up inclines. Is there anything that can mimic a slipping clutch

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
With no oil getting on the disc, the only thing I can think of that acts like a slipping clutch . . is a slipping clutch.

With a clutch job only 6 months ago, if your disc and flywheel look good I would suspect that something's not right with the pressure plate (weak or failing spring fingers?).

You can pull the rubber plug on the side of the bell, and check if the clutch travel is in spec, but I can't see the hydraulics themselves (master or slave) causing the issue- as long as there's no fluid pressure (i.e.- pedal up) the slave should not be pushing on the pressure plate to create a slip condition.

Hopefully you'll get more input from others with more transmission experience. What brand clutch parts did you use? If you didn't install a new flywheel, did you have the old one resurfaced?

dwallac911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm having a similar problem now with my 2003 3.0 L. New clutch was installed about 3,000 miles ago. Did not resurface the flywheel then but all new Ford clutch components were used. No oil is leaking on the new clutch. I took it all apart and everything looks ok. I did some measurements and found that when everything it is put back together the slave cylinder/release bearing will be compressed about 3/4 of an inch. I don't know if this is normal or if the slave cylinder is extended further than it should be without hydraulic pressure on it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals