Clutch slipping?

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
My 93 ranger’s clutch appears to be slipping however I cannot find a reason why. Initially I thought there may be oil leaking on the clutch. After pulling the clutch out I found nothing, everything looks good. could it be a weak pressure plate?The clutch setup was replaced 6 months ago. The transmission shifts fine through all the gears, good clutch pedal.driving around town I have no problems, after driving for awhile on the interstate i begins to slip first in fifth gear then Throughout the gear range the longer it is driven and while going up inclines. Is there anything that can mimic a slipping clutch

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
With no oil getting on the disc, the only thing I can think of that acts like a slipping clutch . . is a slipping clutch.

With a clutch job only 6 months ago, if your disc and flywheel look good I would suspect that something's not right with the pressure plate (weak or failing spring fingers?).

You can pull the rubber plug on the side of the bell, and check if the clutch travel is in spec, but I can't see the hydraulics themselves (master or slave) causing the issue- as long as there's no fluid pressure (i.e.- pedal up) the slave should not be pushing on the pressure plate to create a slip condition.

Hopefully you'll get more input from others with more transmission experience. What brand clutch parts did you use? If you didn't install a new flywheel, did you have the old one resurfaced?