• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch question

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
So ive always wondered why my clutch is a little stiff to push in. Yesterday i drove my buddies toyota with a 22re 5 spd hydraulic clutch and everything, and his clutch was much easier to push in. I had just replaced my tranny and clutch last summer. It seems like once i put the clutch in it was really easy to push in, but then after it seemed to get stiffer. Maybe its all the manual rangers that are like that idk.. Mine is an 89 and the toyota is an 88.

any help would be awesome, thanks...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your clutch is fine. Your buddy's is probably older. It takes a bit for the system to settle into itself after being disturbed. Kinda the way you have to pump up brakes after replacing them.

In the case of a clutch, you are pushing on the outside of a spring loaded lever (the finger of the pressure plate). As the clutch wears, the springs weaken as well and that makes them easier to push in. The wear happens slowly and so you won't notice it until you either hop into a similar vehicle or replace your clutch and suddenly make it stiff again.

ajmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
okay gotcha, i was just wondering if something was wrong. thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals