• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cleaned up aluminum

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Top of box had accumulated grime took a while to clean it up, looks better now. Fine dirt accumulates at the bases of the diamonds, pain to clean but probably hadn't been done since it was put in some time after 2012 (date on box).
IMG_20221205_172458401_BURST003.jpg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I should take a picture of the side boxes on my F-150, whole ecosystem on them, lol, got a nice collection of lichen going

What did you use to clean it?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks great. I use alumabrite on diamond plate aluminum, let it sit for about 5 minutes and then hit it with a scrub brush. The embedded dirt comes right out. Don't get it on your paint though.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I should take a picture of the side boxes on my F-150, whole ecosystem on them, lol, got a nice collection of lichen going
LOL

Sounds like the whole body on my F-100.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

What did you use to clean it?
Reminds me of the guy we met at Badlands this year. He reached down between the fuel tank and skid plate of his Ranger and pulled out a handful of moss. The substantial chunk he removed had little effect on the forest floor he had growing down there.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The lichen and all started on my toolboxes when the truck was parked for a year or two following my hip surgery. I thought putting it back to more regular use and the stuff would go away, but nope, doesn’t seem to bother it at all that it’s bombed down he highway at 70 mph, rain, snow, everything.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
20220310_162413_HDR.jpg

Did somebody say "lichen".

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
I tried a bunch of different things, finally what I did is this and I know it sounds ridiculous.
I make Windex out of water and about 15% isopropyl alcohol, with a half drop of Dawn (and a few drops of blue food coloring). I spray this on then scrub around the diamonds with a toothbrush which loosens up the grime, then I sop up the liquid to get most of the debris, and polish it with paper towels, being careful to not leave debris at the base of the diamonds which is where it collects. Kind of a tedious process but working quickly it doesn't take too long, then some places I have to go over a second time, but eventually it all comes off. At the end I spray wax it which probably doesn't do much, but I see water beading up on it this morning so maybe it helps a little.
I tried scubbing with a large brush but it didn't do better and it tends to make stuff go places you don't want.
The WIndex won't hurt paint though, in my experience, it might want to take off wax but no biggie even if so.
I try to get most of the crud off before polishing/wiping because aluminum is soft and if you have a grit there you can scratch it pretty easily. Mine was mostly just real fine black dust that was stuck in there.
Seems to help in the overall cosmetics None of the other things I tried like Noxon or Brassite or hand glaze or anything seemed as good.
3M hand glaze does help a ton with paint though it's safe for clear coat it's just super fine, for that I use soft cloth to polish. It cleans up fine scratches and leaves a nice smooth surface for waxing. I'm gradually doing the whole body; I did the roof which as you might expect was the worst and it really shined it up nice.
Not familiar with alumabrite but will check it out.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
I bet you could try carefully hand glazing on the lichen... or Windex? Not sure I never had this problem yet. Must be a way to get it off without scratching the paint.

I'd try various approaches, maybe have a hose handy running slow and rinse it off as it removes. Anyone who's done much of this will know that if you get a clump of grit of any kind you can put a scratch in it, that's why with finer grits you are always wet sanding and rinsing things that way it doesn't happen.

The glaze works really nice on the last coat of alkyd paint I use on the instruments, that's actually why I got it, but it's made for vehicles. After you use it you can feel the difference in smoothness as well as see it.

Edit: maybe bleach but I'd go carefully on a trial spot. I got a replacement seat belt for the '99, it was greasy and grody and full strength bleach made it like new. It won't attack the nylon but gets all the crap out. I guess I simple-greened it first but that worked only so-so and bleach really cleaned it nice, just about 15 minute soak was all it took.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can only speak for myself, but by the time it gets to that point you no longer care about the paint. At least on the F-100 the paint is too far gone to care about. I might bomb it once a year with the pressure washer and not worry about the rest. Remove some lichen, some paint, some bondo, and some rust. Eventually I'll get to a point I can get rid of most of the rust (replacement panels) and have it painted, at which point I'll try to start washing it at least a few times a year.

Had a little of it on the '99 Ranger, as well as well as a lot of pine pitch and pollen, after it sat for almost a year and a half. Pressure washer knocked most of it off, some more came off with a light scrubbing. Still got some areas with a bit stuck on. Would probably get the rest of with a good scrubbing. I'm also not worried about the paint. I'd say about 60% of it is salvageable and could look nice with a polish and coat of wax. Unfortunately the paint on the hood and roof are shot, pretty certain no amount of cutting and polishing would fix it, and the bed rails were scuffed to primer and metal for a spray in liner that failed years ago.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
x2 on the pressure washer.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I bet you could try carefully hand glazing on the lichen... or Windex? Not sure I never had this problem yet. Must be a way to get it off without scratching the paint.

I'd try various approaches, maybe have a hose handy running slow and rinse it off as it removes. Anyone who's done much of this will know that if you get a clump of grit of any kind you can put a scratch in it, that's why with finer grits you are always wet sanding and rinsing things that way it doesn't happen.

The glaze works really nice on the last coat of alkyd paint I use on the instruments, that's actually why I got it, but it's made for vehicles. After you use it you can feel the difference in smoothness as well as see it.

Edit: maybe bleach but I'd go carefully on a trial spot. I got a replacement seat belt for the '99, it was greasy and grody and full strength bleach made it like new. It won't attack the nylon but gets all the crap out. I guess I simple-greened it first but that worked only so-so and bleach really cleaned it nice, just about 15 minute soak was all it took.
:icon_rofl:

I will have to get a picture, it’s gone waaaay beyond hand glazing!

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Yeah glazing is really just for finishing paint that's already quite good. It would just make probably a worse mess of things. Sorry about that.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah glazing is really just for finishing paint that's already quite good. It would just make probably a worse mess of things. Sorry about that.
No need to be sorry, soon as I can manage to get a good daytime picture of the vast tundra the top of my toolbox has become I’ll share it

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Here you go, finally got to it…

EC9078AD-2A05-40A9-86C9-AF4E3509605F.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals