• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Choosing a Gear Ratio for 36s

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
i got 4.88 an 36" iroks an 4L 5speed is perfect. i have did have 456 an 36s before i SAS an went to 488. the pinion is just really small when u go to 513 on a D44 i think thats why i stayed at 488

'84 Bronco II

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Try bias 36's, a clapped out 4.0L with 350K on it, and 3.73s and a 5spd...

It was 4-lo or don't even bother trying to drive it down hill :icon_rofl:

5.13's get my vote.
Haha, I was about to post that I have been running 35's, 3.73's, a 2.8l, and a 4 speed, but I think yours takes the cake.

To the original poster, I would definitely go with 5.13's, especially since you have overdrive! Choosing the proper gear has to do with more than just tire size and RPM's. You really need to take into account how much power you are making and where you are making it at.

To the guy who said that 1500-2000 rpm at 65 mph was optimal, that is all fine and dandy if you have the torque to keep the truck moving. As I said, my Bronco is currently running 3.73 and 35's with no overdrive. Now I calculated my rpm's at 70 mph to be about 2400 once, which should be at or a little above this "optimal" range at 65 mph. Now, given my truck only has a 2.9L, I absolutely hate this gearing! It is definitely geared way too high, and squanders what little power my engine has to begin with. The slightest mole hill will cause me to lose speed! So, as I said earlier, you power output has a lot to do with what gear ratio you should choose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals