• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy camshaft help

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I need help looking for a good lift/duration cam for a chevy 350 carburated. I need really low end torque

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
May I suggest a Ford? hehe...

Can you give us more information on your set up?

-What vehicle is this powering?
-4x4?
-Transmission/Tire size/Gear ratio
-Compression ratio
-Cylinder Heads
-Intake/Exhaust

And what will you be using the vehicle for? What are your goals?

There are plenty of torque worthy camshafts on the market. Are you looking for off-idle torque (Idle-4000rpm) or a little higher (1200-4500) or maybe somewhere up even further (1500-5000).

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
haha i know that

this is for a friend's truck. It's a 78 i think chevy pickup. standard 350 everything. Engine needs a rebuild so he is a lookin for a good low end torque cam to throw in it. it is a 350 chevy, 350 trans, 12 bolt front, dana 44 front, 4.56s front and rear

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want a really lopey idle I'd suggest a Comp Cams 292 Magnum...but then there's the fact that it needs 10:1 compression to run good. But it sounds sick and gives a mildly built 350 some punch!!

Ben

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
well i have no idea what the compression is. but he doesnt want toooo lopey. just something with some umph to it ya know. some good low end grunt

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Comp Cams: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-SK12-231-2&autoview=sku

This kit includes the camshaft, lifters, timing chain, and lube. The grind is X4250H which is recommended for 4x4/offroad applications. Should produce power from idle-4600rpm. I really like Comp Cams Company.

Lunati: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=LUN-90350LK&autoview=sku

This Kit from Lunati is designed for towing/fuel economy applications. Includes lifters and lube. Lunati claims a 1500-4500rpm curve.

Crane Cams: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN-113904&autoview=sku

This kit from Crane Cams offers all around truck performance in the 1500-4500rpm range. Includes lube and lifters.

If the truck has an upgraded intake manifold/4bbl carb and headers then this cam kit from Comp Cams might be his ticket. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-SK12-235-2&autoview=sku With a broader powerband (1000-5200rpm) that would take advantage of the intake and exhaust.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
The comp cams 292 Magnum is WAY too much for a stock or mild 350. That SBC needs head work and higher compression to use the cam. Otherwise your low end torque won't be there and by the time the engine reaches the RPM in which the cam is designed to run best in, your heads are weezing.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
For some extra torque, a junkyard 400ci smallblock crank is a good start to a 383ci stroker!

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
thanks man. ya this is a mainly offroad truck. def no towin involved.

ill def reccomenend the SK12 cam to him. that sounds about right for what he needs

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those late 70's cams were prone to being soft. In school we changed out a lot of them.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Q's & suggestion

I need help looking for a good lift/duration cam for a chevy 350 carburated. I need really low end torque
==============================================
Is he rebuildin it?

If so, I'd suggest goin to "NorthernAutoParts.com" and orderin their 350 special kit (less than $200 for master kit= pistons, rings, bearings, cam, lifters, oil pump, gaskets) w/flattop pistons.............there is a detail spot where you choose rings, bearings size (std, 010,030 etc.) & you can choose Clevite bearings, FelPro gaskets, & cam of choice for a lil' more $.

He should be able to build that stock 350 ready to drop in for less than $500:yahoo:, now if he's goin 30 over or must grind his crank, then machine shop cost is a lil' more.

GOOD LUCK & if ya need anymore Chevy contacts, hit me up.............

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
well i have no idea what the compression is. but he doesnt want toooo lopey. just something with some umph to it ya know. some good low end grunt
A cam that gives you a lopey idle will give NOTHING for low end torque! A cam like this is for high end HP.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mill the heads .060 or so. This gives a kick in the pants you can feel as it raises the compression for instant torque increase much more than a cam change. If you do change the cam and mill the heads, be careful with the cam lift as you don't want it hitting the pistons. Just changing the cam doesn't do much unless the heads, intake, and exhaust system matches the cam change.

Comp Cams 268 is a good all around cam, and on the smaller displacement engines it will have a very slight lope. O'Reilly did stock them. The Comp Cams Magnum series is for more "racier" engines.

"Low end torque" is a relative thing. If you are going to use a vehicle as a daily driver, towing, or hauling heavier loads, then low end torque would be a factor to consider. Vehicles used for off roading, racing, etc., usually gear to the engine torque band as to where the power is needed. It is a detailed combination of parts that make it come together. :)shady

Last edited:

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys. I'll be throwing all of this info my friends way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals